Problems with Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sspellberg12, May 27, 2010.

1. sspellberg12 macrumors newbie

Alright, long issue here.

My Macbook Pro's superdrive is bent and mangled (early 2008 version) and I have been trying to install Windows via bootcamp. In order to do this, I had to purchase an external hard drive/dvd/cd rewriter/burner for 100 bucks. Bought an LG Ultra Slim Portable that was Mac compatible, or so says the box.

On Disk Utility, the drive came up fine, but when I tried to burn the .iso, it just said, waiting for drive. When I downloaded Toast, the disc was continually ejected and asked me for a new blank dvd. I know the thing is blank, so that can't be the issue.

I must be missing a step here, and I am worried that I will not be able to burn the .iso, and then reboot it to install windows.

Can anyone help me out?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If you have a Windows 7 ISO, do the following. Download Virtualbox or a trial version of Fusion or Parallels, install 7 from the ISO without entering a product key. Then, follow one of the guides to tranfer the ISO to a bootable USB hard drive or flash drive 4GB will do for 32 bit, you may need 8 for 64 bit.

You can then boot from the USB device, which will be more reliable than booting from external optical drive.

B

3. sspellberg12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a Windows Xp iso that has the key slipstreamed in, so i shouldn't need the virtualization software, right?

I'll look for a Windows 7 iso after work, but I heard they aren't reliable yet.

Would the Xp iso work on the external usb flash drive, and allow me to finish the bootcamp installation? If so, I'll pick one up today.

4. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

What isn't reliable yet?

5. sspellberg12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Windows 7 torrent, sorry for the lack of clarity.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=631901

Found this thread, looks like the USB idea went through the roof.

I will most likely have to repair my superdrive to run Windows, it seems.

6. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

I think he means that a "reliable cracked version" isn't available yet....

Disclaimer: Software piracy is against the law.

7. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

Oh I see. You can get a free trial of W7 from MS that can be extended to 120 days fully legit. I'll hunt for the URL if you can't find it.

8. sspellberg12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I mean at this point I would gladly buy Windows, but I'm not sure it would work anyway. The external hard drive is connected, and the Mac sees it, but when I try to burn off it it just says "waiting for the drive." Lights are on, thing is spinning, but no action.

I think it starts to spin, then stops, starts and stops.

Any ideas? Would a copy of windows in the drive work you think?