Problems with brand new MBP. Seriously Apple? Need advice.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CirrusPilot, Dec 1, 2012.

1. CirrusPilot macrumors member

So I picked up a MBP while my MBA is getting fixed. I was planning on keeping it and selling the MBA, but now I am rethinking.

Out of the box, the K key works only when it wants to. The trackpad will not do 2 finger secondary click. When I click safari, finder opens, if I try to copy/paste, the "open server" window opens, and iTunes looks like a folder rather than an icon.

This is totally unacceptable for a $1200 computer that is brand new out of the box. Apple's quality has really diminished in the two years since I bought my last laptop.

I am going to return the MBP today and have them give me another one. I don't want to sit and wait while they diagnose software problems or anything like that.

Any suggestions? The genius I was working with yesterday said there had been a big iMac recall. Is my case an isolated incident, or did Apple's quality control just spiral downward with this generation of MBPs? Anyone else have similar problems?

2. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Your Mac is defective, but that doesn't mean Apple's QC is falling. Mass-produced products are bound to result in the occasional faulty unit. The vast majority of current Macs are absolutely fine and you'll probably never hear from their happy owners, at least not in online forums such as this one.

The iMac recall you mentioned is regarding Seagate 1TB hard drives that have a higher-than-acceptible failure rate. That's Seagate's fault, not Apple's.

3. CirrusPilot thread starter macrumors member

I agree that it is bound to happen in mass production, but as an Apple user from the beginning, I have never brought a product home that didn't work out of the box.

It makes me a little skeptical about this generation of MBPs. I don't want to commit to this and sell my old MBA if the MBP is going to have a host of problems down the road.

The reason my MBA is "in the shop" is because it had a catastrophic logic board and SSD failure at just under two years, which is a little disconcerting.

The products apple is cranking out now don't seem to be lasting as long the PowerPC Pros and old white MacBooks

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

At my last job at an AASP we saw plenty of new and old PowerBooks and iBooks with issues. It happens and this isn't a new trend.

5. ibarrett94 macrumors member

looking at your post it seems you k key works just fine.

6. CirrusPilot thread starter macrumors member

The K key comes and goes, which is strange. I am heading to the apple store to exchange it soon. Hopefully this is the end of the problems.