Problems with brand new MBP shipped with Lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blue lines, Dec 17, 2011.

1. blue lines macrumors newbie

My wife bought me a MacBook Pro with a 2.2 Quad Core i7, 8gb RAM, 500 GB HD, and an anti-glare screen for Xmas. It came loaded with Lion. It's my first Mac. I got it exactly one week ago. I've had nothing but problems with it since I took it out of the box. It would intermittently lock up while watching videos in iMovie, QuickTime, and Youtube. Force quit wouldn't work. I would have to reboot each time it locked up. There have been three different occasions when I would take it out of sleep mode and instead of being presented with the login window, the screen would be completely black. When I would move my finger along the trackpad pixels would track behind the pointer as if it were painting. Then, when I cleared enough of the black screen away to see the logon field and placed a cursor in the field, half of the screen would appear as normal and the other half would be black.

I took the computer into the genius bar and they told me it was a bad OS build and that they had to restore the HD and reload Lion. When I got home, I booted it up and found that they did not load Lion. They loaded Snow Leopard. I was told they were going to load Lion, as they should since it's the OS the computer came shipped with.

So far, my first experience with owning a Mac has been far less than what I'd ever expected. I've never had so many problems with a brand new computer and I've owned several over the years. I'm also concerned that I was told by the techs they would load Lion and instead loaded Snow Leopard. Did they do this on purpose and forget to tell me? Did they lie? Did they intend on loading Lion, but inadvertently load Snow Leopard? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

If this weren't an Apple product, I'd have returned it by now, but given Apple's track record for making quality products, I really do want to ride this out.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Chuck

2. ERIC273 macrumors 6502

I personally wouldn't of allowed them to BS you with a OP reload! You should've demanded a replacement (Nicely)! With apple, If your computer has problem out of box there is a good chance you'll have more problems down the line!

3. blue lines thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick reply, Eric. Just read your response to my wife and her exact words were, "See? I told you so." :rolleyes:

I went into the store to exchange the PC, not have it worked on, but when they told me I'd have to ship it out myself since it's a custom build, I figured I'd let them do what they feel needs to be done to it.

But, you and my better half are exactly right. Looks like this one is going back to Shanghai.

Chuck