Problems with 'Burn' - burning avi files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by craigyknows, Sep 9, 2007.

1. craigyknows macrumors newbie

New to the mac and i've been used to burning .avi files on my PC as data and them playing without hitch on my DVD player. I'm using Burn software but non of the avi's will play on my dvd - I've tried all the burning as data options (Mac + PC, DVD etc) but non of them play on my player (I've tried various avi files).

Any help, other than getting a different type of burning software?

2. CortexRock macrumors 6502

Burn doesn't transcode AVI files into VIDEO_TS folder DVDs that are viewable on a DVD player. It's just a burning application, so probably not what you're after, sorry.

Either invest in Toast 8, or alternatively, if you have a DVD player that supports DivX, try reencoding your AVI files into that format. Then you should be able to just use Burn to transfer DiVX encoded AVIs to disc as data files which the player will recognise. Some DVD players even accept memory cards or USB sticks too now.

3. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

There are dvd players that support formats other than "DVD movies" such as WMV, AVI and DiVX.

If your player does not support these formats you will not be able to play them. You could get some software to convert avi movies to a dvd format but that's up to you. You could spend time and money on more software or buy another dvd player that supports a lot more formats and media types.

Personally, I like to make dvd movies but also have a player that can handle many movie formats and picture formats. Ability to handle media types, cd-rom, cd-r, cd-rw, dvd-rom, dvd+/-R, dvd+/-RW, dvd-ram helps make it easier too.