CarPlay Problems with CarPlay in 2019 Volvo V60

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Rembixe, May 24, 2019.

1. Rembixe macrumors newbie

I have a 2 month old Volvo V60, which is the Station Wagon edition of the S60, that is sold in the US and an Iphone X with IOS 12.3

Most of the time CarPlay work very well but recently I am experiencing that while driving the connection to CarPlay is dropped and the infotainment system displays "connection error" unplugging and connection the cable again makes no difference, neither does trying a different cable. I have to turn off ignition to get the infotainment system to book up again before the phone will reconnect.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

2. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I have been using CarPlay since 2015, on 3 different head units, and many different iPhones, and in my experience, CarPlay has been one of Apple's most buggiest products.

It would be hard to say if it is a problem with your factory head unit, or just one of the many CarPlay related iOS bugs.

Another strange thing is that some people are reporting that they have never seen a CarPlay bug or issue. Maybe it is some combination of the head unit, iPhone model, iOS version, and app being used that is causing these issues(or having no issue at all).

Hopefully an iOS update fixes your problems. As CP used to be a lot worse, but has slowly been getting better.

3. bransoj macrumors 6502a

+1 here for someone thats never really had any issues with Carplay. Been using every day for about 18 months now using Apple Maps pretty much all the time along with phone calls, messages and Music a lot of the time if i'm not listening to the radio. I've got a 6S that has had all the various updates since last March with a proper Apple cable to the Intellilnk 4 system in my 2018 Vauxhall Insignia Grand Sport Tourer.

For any issues as well as possibly updating your phone or maybe reinstall iOS on your phone it would be worth seeing if the Volvo dealership has any software updates for the car system as well.

4. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

CarPlay seems to be extremely picky about the lightning cable that's being used from my experiences with it in various automobiles. It seems to always be most reliable anyway when using an OEM cable. I've used some cables before that work perfectly in any other scenario except for being quite flaky with CarPlay.

5. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Not sure its so much CarPlay being picky as the car system being picky. My previous car didnt have CarPlay but did have a USB port that i could plug into for charging and to access Music on the phone. That was very picky about it being a decent MFI cable for it to work. Didnt need to be an Apple cable as i used an Amazons Basic one and another 3rd party one but they were all MFI and always worked but if i tried to use one that wasnt MFI it would charge but wouldnt pick up the phone properly to let me access music.

In my new car i'm just using the same MFI third party and CarPlay has always been fine. The only time I used to have a problem connecting was with the security feature where if you hadnt connected to a USB port in 3 days you had to unlock the phone to activate Carplay which i've now turned off.

6. Rembixe thread starter macrumors newbie

I have now being playing around a bit and I was noticing my Iphone X was becoming very hot when being used for navigation and located in the center console storage room.

After switching to a thiner case I have not had any issues with crashes at all