Problems with Cloning Old SSD to new SSD on i7 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idyfohu, May 3, 2012.

1. idyfohu macrumors newbie

Alright, I'll try to be as brief as possible.

I recently transferred or am in the process of transferring my old info from a Mac Pro Tower to a new 2.8 i7 MBP. Previously, I had a 40GB SSD drive with my OS and Apps and it ran perfectly fine, however I needed more space. I ended up buying a Crucial M4 128GB SSD and upgraded the RAM to 16GB and have since had problems with the Crucial. I just now updated the firmware but that didn't seem to fix a thing.

So what I've done is initialized the M4 SSD w/ Disk Utility via Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and I've done a clone using Time Machine (it worked but it was really slow and would occasionally lag for 30 seconds out of nowhere with a beach ball) and I've also done a clone using Carbon Copy and that was ridiculously slow (I would get a beach ball every 5-10 seconds and just opening a new window in the finder would cause a beach ball).

I don't know what could be the problem. I've since made a bootable SD card with both Leopard and Lion, thinking I'd just install a brand new OS onto the new SSD, but those aren't working for some reason.

So yes, I'm currently using the previous and well-working 40GB SSD, but I'm lost and would appreciate anyone's help!

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Can you try SuperDuper! as well?

Also run repair disk and repair permissions on your source SSD before writing to the new one.

When you format the new one again so you can write to it, delete the partition and format after creating the partition and use MacOS X (Journaled).

Then try with SuperDuper! again.

3. idyfohu thread starter macrumors newbie

Dave,

Thanks so much for the recommendations...another cloning app can't hurt right?

I'm literally cloning as I type this so I'm crossing my fingers this works. Repaired the disk and permissions beforehand and all looks well, so we'll see how it goes!

4. idyfohu thread starter macrumors newbie

Dave,

Just tried booting from the clone and nada. It would either come to the apple screen and then the spinning icon beneath the Apple would just spin and not go anywhere (waited 5 minutes a few times before giving up) or else I would just get the restart screen (saying that my Mac needed to be restarted).

Ugh. Not sure what to do at this point. :confused:

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Are you trying to clone your Mac Pro OS drive to your MBP?

That won't work.

I highly recommend that you set up a fresh OS install on the new SSD on your MBP. Once you have that done, copy your home folder to your MBP and pick and choose which files you want to keep.

That's the best way. There is a way to keep your settings by using Mac transfer, but it's much better to go the fresh route and just manually copy your home folder (where your desktop/pictures/music/etc are).

Also you have to reinstall all the applications.

6. idyfohu thread starter macrumors newbie

Dave,

Yes, I'm trying to clone the OS from the previous Mac Pro.

I'm all for going with a clean install, but the bootable flash drives (SD and Compact Flash) that I've made aren't working for some reason. Upon attempting to restart from them to restore system software, I'm getting the black screeen: [​IMG]

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Do a fresh install. Cloning your mac pro OS drive and trying it in a macbook won't work.

8. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/

Did you try that method?

If you're trying to use Lion that came pre-installed on your MBP on your Mac Pro, you need to purchase a new copy at $29 from the App store and do the above method.

9. idyfohu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for the suggestions...I used that method exactly and then even burned a disk and both methods failed to actually install. They will download the required files, however when it restarts and attempts to install, nothing installs. It says, "installing" but the progress bar just has the graphic and doesn't show any progress at all. Ugh, so frustrated.

Tried installing Leopard from a bootable drive and it installed just fine onto the Crucial SSD, however when I try to start it up, I get beeping noises when the Apple startup screen shows up and I can't get any further. :(

10. mumbler macrumors newbie

Crucial m4 woes and fix

Hello,

I just got a 256GB m4 to replace my filled up SSD boot drive. Carbon Copy Cloner failed. SuperDuper! failed. Fresh install failed.

The drive came with firmware 000f from the factory. This firmware seems to be causing pain all over the internet for Mac users. Downgrading the firmware to 0309 was the key to success.

After changing the firmware, SuperDuper! was successful in creating a bootable clone. I have been running now for several hours without issue.

Phew!

I hope this helps someone...

mumbler