Problems with connecting imac via internet sharing to xbox 360 wireless adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Menace84, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Menace84 macrumors newbie

I've searched for hours upon hours trying to find solutions to my problem. I recently purchased the xbox 360 wireless adapter hoping it would pick up the internet sharing i have coming from my imac, which is connected to a modem via ethernet cable. I send out the internet on my imac as i have 2 windows laptops and my iphone which all connect with no problems what so ever.

The xbox wireless adapter will see my imacs network but just won't join. There are a few people around my neighborhood that have unsecured networks which the xbox wireless adapter picks up and connects to no problem. I looked through forum after forum to see if there was any way of connecting it but have had no such luck.

I now want to try the apple usb to ethernet converter with my imac to see if i can connect the xbox 360's RJ-45 into either the apple to ethernet converter or the imacs ethernet port while still receiving the internet from my modem.

If anyone has any information with either process then i'd be very grateful of the help

2. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

From what I've read it seems you are trying to take a wired connection and broadcast it through your wireless NIC. This should work, however, ad-hoc networks are always shotty and shouldn't be used as a solution. I would consider buying a wireless router. Anyone have any insight further on this?

3. Menace84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've no idea when it comes to setting up a wireless router. I tried once before and couldn't figure it out. It was a friend of mine that showed me how to use the internet sharing on the imac.

The only other solution i could think of was to buy the apple usb to ethernet accessory and connect the xbox 360 RJ-45 cable to it. But as i haven't bought 1 yet i was hoping for some insight to see if that would work

4. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

you should have an ethernet socket already on your iMac, that's how i'm connecting my xbox using internet sharing, although i suggest getting a wireless router like jtmx29 said. remember google is your friend if you need help with anything.

5. Menace84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that ethernet port is plugged into the modem. I don't receive my internet wirelessly, its Modem > ethernet > mac

I want to know if i can use the apple usb to ethernet connect as a second ethernet port and plug that straight into the xbox 360. I want to keep the internet running on my imac instead of having to unplug the modem from my imac and into the xbox 360 to get onto live.

I want to leave getting a wireless router as a final option if the above isn't possible.

Also i've spent the last week using google to no avail

6. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

You could just run another ethernet cable from the back of your wired router to your xbox NIC. This would leave no reason to Internet Connection Share. Also, setting up a wireless router is very very easy with little research. Good luck.

7. Menace84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it working through the apple usb ethernet connection. Had to manually do the ip dns settings but it works fine now

8. MTLaw macrumors newbie

Can you please post your settings you put in.
    Can you post for both the xbox and your computer.
    I'm using an iMac running leopard, running 10.5.8.
    I have the usb to ethernet adapter but I can't get the settings to work correctly.

9. Francois4256 macrumors newbie

Attached Files: