Problems with Dashboard Widgets. Anyone else experiencing them?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by PinkyMacGodess, Oct 27, 2007.

1. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

I have grown to love the dashboard. I have some really cool widgets ont he many macs that I have.

On my Leopard machine, I set it up witht he included flight tracker widget and I'm having some issues...

They actually first started with the weather widget when I tried to set it for my location. With the dashboard up, and the 'Atlanta' preexisting information totally highlighted, I started typing and the Safari window UNDERNEATH the still open AND active Dashboard/Weather widget which never closed.

Ok, so the flight tracking widget. If I click on Airline, I get 'No Matches Found' but if I type an 'N' I get 'Northwest'. So if I click on the popdowns to the right of 'NWA - Northwest' I only see Northwest. Under Tiger, I would see way more airlines than I would care to fly.

Same thing with from and to areas. They show up 'no matches found' and yet of I type something then they have that info in them, and nothing more...

Curious... Some widgets appear to work ok while these two that ship with Leopard don't work right...

Anyone else seeing this issue?

2. Starsmac macrumors newbie

I'm having issues with my tigergotchi. It won't let me feed my tiger, hence it will probably die soon. :(

3. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

I'm having problems now after I rebooted after the Keychain update. Widgets don't work at all. I have weather and istat widgets set up all the time, when I hit F12, I got nothing.

I see the litttle + sign to add widgets so I hit that, they scroll across the bottom, but when I click on one I get the error beep and it throws me from Dashboard. I can't get ANY widget to work now.

I've even tried restarting Dashboard, but nothing is working :mad:

4. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

i had installed dashflix earlier and whenever i went in after a couple hours, my dashboard would not appear at all. a restart fixed it every time. so i uninstalled dashflix and we'll see what happens.

5. darthkarl macrumors newbie

darthkarl

My iMac started to do the exact same thing just a few moments ago. All of the widgets worked fine at the start of the day and then out of the blue, nothing. I can't figure out anything I could have done to break them. Very odd. :confused:

6. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

my issue has been resolved since i removed and trashed the above referenced dashflix (netflix) widget. looks to me like some of the "working" widgets need updating maybe.

7. cuestakid macrumors 68000

i have noticed that several widgets do not work as well

ice time
    set wallpaper
    stocks
    and several others

8. darthkarl macrumors newbie

darthkarl

Well, I've gone through and deleted all of my downloaded widgets with the hope that one of them was the one causing the problem. But unfortunately the dashboard still doesn't want to display any widgets.

9. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Awwww.... :(

(*cough* *chuckle* OMG TEEEHEEHEE HAHAAHA!!! =D XD)

10. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

Same problem here-- Dashboard just locks up. I can open it, but I get different kinds of problems. Sometimes everything is unresponsive, sometimes I can move the widgets around but they don't respond to clicks. Right now I can see the widgets, can't create a webclip, and the World Clock isn't ticking.

11. darthkarl macrumors newbie

darthkarl

It appears that somehow the parental controls are linked to the widget issue in some fashion. I have two different accounts for my children (each with parental controls), one for my wife (no parental controls), a guest account and of course my administrative account.

I solved my problem (at least for now) by: 1) turning off the parental controls on my children's accounts; 2) logging into each existing account and; 3) logging back into the administrative account. When I finally got back into my own account, the widgets were all working again just like they did before. We'll see if this resolves the issue for the long-term (or at least until Apple can patch Leopard a little bit more).

Hope this helps.

12. PinkyMacGodess thread starter macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

Trial and results.

I swapped hard drives in my MBP and installed Leopard from scratch (new drive) to see what happens to the various bugs. I had done the upgrade path before.

I installed Leopard, did the 2 updates, installed iLife '08, installed the updates, installed Microsoft Office 2004, installed the updates. Rebooted.

Started Dashboard and added some of the Apple Widgets: Flight Tracker, Ipod, Weather, Conversion, Stocks, Dictionary.

The weather widget works fine this time. The Flight Tracker doesn't. It does the same thing that it did earlier, no list of airlines, no lists of Depart or Arrival cities.

So far dashboard does seem to startup faster though.

13. andresrw macrumors member

I did that and nops! it's crashed! no widgets in the dash, and cannot bubble any of them from the list.

14. andresrw macrumors member

15. andresrw macrumors member

no one?

16. dbrandt6 macrumors member

dbrandt6

I had the same...

problem this morning. But after a Restart... they worked again. Go figure!

17. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

I had various broken widgets. Aviaiton weather amd radar would not load.
    I trashed them with the widget manager and donloaded new copies. They seem fine so far.

18. WindFreak macrumors newbie

the dashboard problems i have been having are mostly graphical
    (images attached)

Attached Files:

19. frenly macrumors newbie

frenly

sorry for the noob question. how to remove the widget?

20. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Click the big "+" with a circle around it or hold down "Option" and hover over the widget to reveal the close icon.

21. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I just upgraded to Leopard, and WebClips do not work at all. (Two of my various stickies and a third-party Piano Theory widget were messed up too.)

I've deleted (not just closed) all non-Apple widgets, rebuilt permissions, and rebooted several times. WebClips never appear--not under ANY user account. (But if you hit Cmd-R just after trying, a blank widget with a Safari icon does appear.)

Any thoughts on what to try? I have a million uses for them, but I'd rather do without than have to reinstall the OS and re-do all my settings.

22. MarvinMartian macrumors newbie

Yup,
    I had a widget to detect/indicate available wireless networks. It doesn't display what it sees correctly, it has some weird character display as well. I guess we give it time, eh?

23. megfilmworks macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

To remove it from your computer use the widget manger
    and delete.

24. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Follow-up: 2 days later, WebClips work fine (and worked fine from the start on the other Mac I upgraded to Leopard). I haven't rebooted, logged out, restarted the Dock, or even changed my widgets at all, and there have been no software updates.... but for some reason WebClips are fine now. Time to go hog wild making widgets :) :cool:

25. micsaund macrumors 6502

micsaund

I am also seeing this with Macwirless Radar widget -- presumably the same one you're talking about?

It only displays a couple of the networks and the display is all screwy with no graphs and oddly placed numbers/info.

I was hoping that since this widget is produced by a commercial company that they'd have had it updated by now, but alas...

Mike