Problems with desktop!!! Please help =(+++++

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lechic12, Mar 12, 2010.

1. lechic12 macrumors newbie

OK you know how there is a difference between the desktop in your finder and your background? My background always stays clear unless I insert a disk or something. If I take a screenshot it goes to my finder window in the desktop section-not my background. My computer froze half an hour ago and when I restarted it, this changed.
    Now if I take a screenshot the file shows up on my background. Also, all my screenshots which I saved in my desktop and did not show up in the background are all over my background and I have tons of files there now. I cannot drag it back into finder-nothing changes. I can't delete the files either-otherwise all the files are gone.
    I tried explaining this to another forum (non mac but they use macs) and they all tell me that they don't get it because desktop in finder and desktop in hte background are one in the same etc, but I swear this isn't normal. I attached 3 pics-one is showing my finder, where things normally go, and another is showing my background-filled with icons all of a sudden. I also have a pic of my desktop folder with the files in finder-this is what it used to look like, just that, nothing in background. Now it looks like that+the background is cluttered.
    [​IMG]
    This is what I mean when I say the desktop in finder-not desktop background
    [​IMG]
    this is what my computer background looks like now!
    [​IMG]
    See-all the files are still in desktop folder like normal, but at the same time my background is cluttered and nothing changes when I try to drag the icons into my desktop folder in finder

2. gibbz macrumors 68030

The finder window is showing you what is on your Desktop 'background'. They are the same thing. There is no difference at all.

3. lechic12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, but thats never happened before. Everyone I take a screenshot it never showed up on my desktop background-just the folder, as you can see in the third pic (which would look normal if it weren't for all the icons in the background)
    It just wasn't like that before =/

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

No there isn't...

5. gibbz macrumors 68030

Then there was something goofy before. The normal behavior is that if it is on your desktop it will be in Finder. Everything is working as it should :)

6. lechic12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm wow, perhaps it could have been a bug then? NO one believes me, but its the truth that screenshots would go to finder but not the background (id never have my background that messy!)
    Is there any way taht I can change where my screenshots go to-automatically without dragging...?

7. gibbz macrumors 68030

Here is a good article describing how to change things

Or, I like to use Secrets.

8. Surely Guest

Surely

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

+1 on this being normal behavior. But, since I'm using OS X 10.4.11 I don't have any experience with Spaces, is it possible that the OP had the screeenshots going to a different Desktop in Spaces that they weren't ever viewing?

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

No, even with spaces, items on the desktop stay regardless if you switch to another space. Anything on the desktop will show up in the Desktop folder in /Users/Username/Desktop and vice versa.

11. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

Sounds to me like some type of file hiding, which I'm sure was available in Windows, but I don't know of OS X having such capability. I've not used anything past 10.4 Tiger though, I'm outdated :(

All I can show/hide are connected Drives, CDs/DVDs, and Connected servers, not files. I'm pretty sure in Windows you can hide everything but the Recycle Bin (but with some tweaking, even the Recycle bin will vanish).

12. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Here's a method for hiding all desktop icons...

OS X Daily - Hide All Desktop Icons in Mac OS X

If you don't feel comfortable using Terminal to do this there are a couple of apps mentioned in the comments that perform the same function.