Problems with disc drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Smileyguy, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Smileyguy macrumors 6502

Hey, I'm having a problem with my disc drive and trying to figure out how best to proceed. I have a 12' G4 Powerbook, 1.33Ghz, running OSX 10.3.

Essentially, the laptop will no longer 'suck' in discs. When I turn the machine on or wake it from sleep, the disc drive makes a repeated cycle of fairly loud noises for about 30 seconds. During this, it is possible to insert a disc into the drive, and it will be sucked in. This is only a 30-second window, and at all other times it won't take the discs in.

Obviously, this is a hardware problem so there's probably little I can do about it myself, though if anybody has any ideas please do suggest them. What I'm wondering is:

1) Has anybody experienced this problem before, and if so, what was the solution?

and...

2) If I need a new disc drive, how much is this likely to cost? My current drive is a CD-RW/DVD, but I'd like to upgrade to a DVD-RW. How much would such an upgrade be likely to cost?

Thanks in advance for the help,

SG...

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

3. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Also if you do replace it you might was to buy a Apple "Black Stick" Nylon Probe Spudgers from a member here. His user name is Techound1 I think. He sells them for dirt cheap. Or you can search on eBay for it...

4. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the help.

Does anyone know of a good place to buy disc drives online? Somewhere in the UK would be ideal. Anyone have an idea of how much I would expect to pay for a CD-RW/DVD-RW drive?

Has anyone replaced a drive themselves?

5. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Here is the apple part number for a super drive 661-3435. If you want the combo drive the number is 661-2930. I would start googling theses number and see what you come up with to get the best prices.. Hope this helps

6. California macrumors 68040

California

Send me 16 bucks and I'll send you my great condition combo dvd drive pulled from a 1.33 iBook (identical to combos in 12" Powerbooks)

But do have to say that taking apart a 12" powerbook is a very precise task. Read the iFixit tutorial and prepare for surgery. it is your best bet, though as a ACT would charge an arm and a leg for the procedure.

I've put a new hard drive in my 12" Powerbook, you should also upgrade your hard drive at the same time since you have the machine open.

Let me know if you want my combo drive and good luck in any case.

7. Smileyguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, they will charge an arm and a leg. I just got a quote of €369 (which must be about $450) from my local Apple seller. So I'm going to do it myself. I was planning to get a new external HD, but seeing as I'll be opening it up I might as well put a new one inside her. Wow, this is kind of scary, but exciting too!

Thanks for the offer of the combo drive, it's really tempting, but I think that while I'm doing this I might as well get a DVD-burning drive. If I'm going to be making a reasonable investment in upgrading this machine (I'm going to get more RAM too), I might as well go the full hog as I'd like to get another few years out of it.

Thanks for the offer, and all the help,

Lenny

By the way, does anyone know any good internal hard drives that will fit in 12' powerbooks? I'd like 160GB at least.

8. allensis macrumors newbie

Combo drive

California...I have this same problem and I am interested in your combo offer.

Email me: allensis at efn dot org

Thanks.