Problems with downloads

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AxelMonkey, Mar 12, 2010.

1. AxelMonkey macrumors regular

Somewhere between Heaven and Hell, Oregon
    ok so i have been trying to download many things, and they always seem to stop half way is this a problem on my end, how can i fix this.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Give us an example of what kind of download "stops halfway," what kind of network you're on, how you're connected to the internet, what program you're using, and basically anything that would remotely assist in diagnosing your problems.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

screen shots are great :D

give us the download link and we can try it.

4. AxelMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

well lets see.. some download files would be like images, .smzips, .zip, we have.. idk what cha mean "network"(Safari??)but im connected wirelessly. im not using any program?? i just click on download links on the internet and let the computer do the rest lol. hope that helps OH! i would do screen shots IF i knew how. imma n00b to mac

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Safari is the browser (application to surf the world wild wet), the network is either wireless or wired or both.

Can you post a link or two that don't work?

Screenshots are made via CMD+SHIFT+1/2/3/4 and then either attached to this post or embedded by uploading it to Flickr or any other image hosting service.

Also consider changing your thread title to something like: Downloads don't complete using Safari or something that is remotely descriptive.

To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG]button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the "Go Advanced" button below your message.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

http://www.apple.com/support/switch101/ - text

http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/ - videos

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/ - text

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343-keyboard - shortcuts

6. AxelMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

http://www.stepmaniadownloadsource.com/DDR/ (.smzip files) main problem.

this is my main problem, everytime i follow the links... they'll start to download then they stop... ill download again so i can get screenshots of the error i get about halfway

also how can i open .exe files without the usage of windows or anything cause i dont have an install CD for windows.

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You don't.

.exe files are Windows executables and can only be run by a Windows OS.
    Just like Windows can't run .app files (the suffix for Mac OS X applications).

Btw, the download completed on my side with Safari 4.05 (update released yesterday or so) and Mac OS X 10.6.2.

Maybe using another browser might help?

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Sorry Spinnerlys...

You can run .exe's using Wine. They may or may not run depending on how much of Windows they need.

The downloads you're trying, work, but I wouldn't waste my time with what looks like a cracked app. Also, if it's Windows, it won't work on Wine for sure, and you'll need to use Bootcamp to install Windows to use it.

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You backstabbing lineman! ;)

Thanks for clarifying and correcting that though.

And I thought the file looked like like something cracked, but I don't recognize the name anyway.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

sometimes its a bad idea to bring in those sorts of features, it can confuse the situation!

no offense to the OP or aggie or anything.

OP: i checked the site you were on, and i wouldnt download from there. looks very suspicious.

11. AxelMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

that sight is not anything wrong with it, i download my files on my PC there and its fine.

.smzip is a package of songs made for a software program(Stepmania) which a dance simulation based off the Dance Dance Revolution games, and I just cant get them to complete the download on mac now. i got all the other files that i was having problems with to download, just these wont finish or there taking over 10+ hours to download :/

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you tried with another browser?

Have you tried at another location, where you have a different Internet Service Provider (school, work, café, ...)?

But the packages are still illegal downloads aren't they?

sight |sīt|
    noun
    1 the faculty or power of seeing : Joseph lost his sight as a baby | [as adj. ] a sight test.
    • the action or fact of seeing someone or something : I've always been scared of the sight of blood.
    • the area or distance within which someone can see or something can be seen : he now refused to let Rose out of his sight.
    • dated a person's view or consideration : we are all equal in the sight of God.
    2 a thing that one sees or that can be seen : John was a familiar sight in the bar for many years | he was getting used to seeing unpleasant sights.
    • ( sights) places of interest to tourists and visitors in a city, town, or other place : she offered to show me the sights.
    • ( a sight) informal a person or thing having a ridiculous, repulsive, or disheveled appearance : “I must look a frightful sight,” she said.
    3 (usu. sights) a device on a gun or optical instrument used for assisting a person's precise aim or observation.

site |sīt|
    noun
    an area of ground on which a town, building, or monument is constructed : the proposed site of a hydroelectric dam.
    • a place where a particular event or activity is occurring or has occurred : the site of the Battle of Antietam | materials for repairs are always on site.
    • short for building site .
    • short for Web site .

See Applications / Dictionary for BE and HAVE.

13. AxelMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

the actual error message ive received is something like safaridomain error 0 or somthing close to that

14. AxelMonkey thread starter macrumors regular

Smart @$$. lol