Problems with Early 2011 MBP/Question about RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thecommonwealth, Jan 23, 2014.

1. thecommonwealth macrumors newbie

This last MBP I bought was a lemon - since 2011 I've had the display, RAM, HDD, logic board, battery, etc. replaced (none due to damage).

Recently there was intermittent freezing/wouldn't start up - the genius bar couldn't find anything wrong or re-create the issue, but of course it immediately happened as soon as I returned home from 3+ days of testing. Ultimately they suggested it may be a corrupt version of OS Mavericks, so I just reinstalled it and crossing my fingers, it seems to be working again.

However, processes seem to be slower than they should. I'm pleased that fans aren't running nearly as much with Mavericks, but am wondering what the bottle neck is.

The typical tasks I find delays on is photo editing/data uploading/10-20 browser windows open running work - lags in switching photos/editing/expose.

When I check activity monitor - it says there is no swap going on (and also 0 (0) swaps in/out when checked through the top utility in terminal). However, I'm consistently running 6.5+/8 GB - a typical activity monitor is attached (shows low pressure, but still high usage with little activity).

Should I be concerned about this and would upgrading to 16 GB help with any of the lagging/delays? Or am I missing the issue completely?

Thank you for any help and excuse the naivety.

Attached Files:

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Looks like you have a slow HDD. I suggest you go buy an SSD and watch your Mac boot up within 12 seconds.

3. thecommonwealth, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014

thecommonwealth thread starter macrumors newbie

I've got an SSD in it. - 2011 2.2 i7 MBP 512 SSD 8 RAM

4. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

Go ahead and do the memory upgrade. I installed Mavericks with only 4 GB of RAM and just went up to 8 GB and I have noticed a difference in speed. Less beach balls.

Upgrading is a relatively cheap way to improve performance.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I was having all kinds of beachballs/frezzing on Mavericks on my Early 2011

I have since done a clean install of Moutain Lion and I have not had an issue in over a week

6. thecommonwealth thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure if I wasn't clear, but again:

I have an SSD and 8GB RAM. I've done a clean install and things are operating fine (with some minor lagging).

The issue is the activity monitor reports that I'm maxing out the RAM, but the "memory pressure" remains low. (Picture is attached to first post)

My question is if I'm misunderstanding how Mavericks is using the RAM and if I will see significant benefits from upgrading to 16GB. I've read that since there aren't swap outs/page outs that the system is actually operating fine (that the memory pressure graph is more indicative of actual performance) and upgrades would be marginal improvements.

But I'm having trouble understanding and wondering if I'm missing the issue completely.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the green bar in your picture indicates your RAM is being managed just fine and no need for any RAM upgrades

this might help

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5890

8. Donfor39 macrumors 6502a

Donfor39

Memory will be my next uggrade....8 GB will be plenty for my mac use at home

which brand of memory did you choose?...i've only had a quick look via amazon uk....I take it 8GB crucial ram is fine?

and the 4GB which will be removed....is that of any use to anyone?...no charge just dont want to 'waste it'

9. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Doesn't seem to be a RAM issue, at least in terms of RAM size. It can be a defective module, though. Running Apple diagnostics tools with Command+R after turning on can help finding something wrong...

10. thecommonwealth thread starter macrumors newbie

Crucial is solid - I would recommend. As far as the 4GB - you could always simply list it on eBay for someone (won't fetch a lot for a 2+2 stick, but would get re-used).

Thank you for the help - I still don't understand how a high percentage of RAM is being used constantly while the pressure remains low, but I guess it's better for it to operate functionally than for me to understand it.

11. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

I got crucial memory for Amazon.com since I live in the US for 80.00. I got two 4 GB.

I guess you could sell it but you won't get much for it.

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

its confusing to read but "memory used" also includes inactive memory which is the same as free memory

also with OSX ive noticed even if you have 16GB of RAM simple tasks will use more RAM than usual just because there is more to use