Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LEGALROMA

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Ok, so we finally got video on our phones.

I cannot believe the lack of information about this problem.

The problem I am having is sending them by email, they are hanging in outbox and burning up my battery by reattempting to send. A friend of mine had an extreme problem, and it resulted in 1 hour batt life and then his phone would 1 email with video and then send 15 or so emails that had message (server has not downloaded message) to my account.

So I have read that some servers limit the length of video, hence the problem.

What servers should we be using to send video? Who has largest capacity? Ive heard yahoo server limits length to 15 seconds. what about ATT server? Is ther any way around this?

Also, is there a problem deleting primary server? Can you retrieve it later?

Thoughts?

Just for clarification:

My primary server is Yhoo smtp

Available servers:

smtp.gmail.com
pop3live.com
smtp.live.com
att smtp server

What are the differences between servers?

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I'd guess it's limiting the size of the attachment, rather than the length of the video (which you might know anyway). If I were to pick one, I'd say GMAIL would be the one to send it through. IIRC they have a 50 mb limit per message.

If that won't send it means your video is probably to long to be emailed. You might consider uploading it directly to YouTube or to MobileMe if you have that.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Someone is welcome to prove me wrong - but I think the emailing limit is 10meg out of the iphone. After that, it hung or failed on both yahoo and gmail for me..

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Emailing a video on the iPhone is slightly restricted.

The biggest attachment GMail can have is 20 Mb (from a web browser or computer system) http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/05/gmail-doubles-maximum-attachment-size.html

But from the iPhone I think you can only send an email that is 10Mb or less.

Even though the iPhone compresses the video before it sends it, the video can still be quite large.

This could be the reason.

The iphone does not compress when you email hence the problem - even a 45 second clip is over 20meg

the iphone compresses for youtube and mobileme (and now twitvid via the app)

LEGALROMA

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
The iphone does not compress when you email hence the problem - even a 45 second clip is over 20meg

Well when I try to send an video thru email it stops and has a progress bar saying" compressing video". So I am confused about your response.

This is not a "slight restriction", if we can only email 10-15 second videos whats the point of having this feature. All I heard for 1 year was the lack of this feature and now we can only share 10 seconds to our friends and family? That, IMO would be even more of a restriction.

I guess its safe to say that you wont see that limitation in the apple commercials.

You tube seems to allow more, but I dont want to send to utube.

Cmon guys there has to be a workaround no?

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
youtube compresses. I uploaded a 2.5 min video which I think was about 2 meg. Which makes sense - youtube has a limit of 10 minutes = 10 megs via upload

LEGALROMA

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Interesting,

Just tried to delete yahoo server in settings, so I could use gmail sever on yahoo mail, and it will not delete! I suppose it will stay as default, but meanwhile 2 25 second vids are hanging and rolling.......will not send.

Strange.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky

Do you have an iphone? If so you need to look again. Go into your camera roll, select a video and email. Before it ever adds it to the email it compresses it. You can tell because it has a progress bar that say "compressing video" under it.

EDIT: And a 43 second video is 5.7mb when emailed. The uncompressed video downloaded from the phone is 18.8mb.

LEGALROMA

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
EDIT: And a 43 second video is 5.7mb when emailed. The uncompressed video downloaded from the phone is 18.8mb.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for info. Do you mind me asking source of compression data?

Ok , I believe I found a way to get more frame rate. I went into router settings and opened more preference to the 80 port and installed new device called Cam and the frame rate increased. Interestingly, I discovered MSN messenger had somehow gotten in there and increased band, so I deleted it.

Finally, went into email settings on phone and added gmail server as secondary. I will try testing various length of videos, but i did get a 35 second vid to email with no hangups.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
Don't forget that when you send an email, header and footer information get attached to the document.

We have this problem at work where we have a 20MB limit, but if you're sending an email with a few attachments on or indeed a video, you're probably looking at about 15MB.

Sounds like utter rubbish but we get support calls about it all the time ;)

pac

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.