Problems with ESPN.com and youtube.com?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mgargan1, Mar 8, 2008.

1. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I've been on multiple computers (macs) trying to access youtube.com and espn.com, but it causes the application (safari or firefox) to not respond and i get the beachball effect.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I tried going on with firefox on my PC, and that works just fine.

2. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Yep! It's happening to me too. I tried everything - I cannot load either anymore, as well as a few other sites.

3. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

4. pg0031 macrumors newbie

Count me in as a mac member in distress. This is extremely frustrating. Someone has to know what's going on. And they need to get on the ball!

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

seem to work for me in firefox on a macbook pro

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i had the same issue this morning with my macbook and, strangely, not with my imac. i tried repairing permissions, reset EVERYTHING, and nothing seemed to work. i was planning to reinstall the os anyway (new computer), and it now loads the page fine. can't think of another solution though. :(

7. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

now it happens when i try to go to macrumors forums...

something strange is happening? Mac's first virus?

8. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

Ok, both just finally loaded up fine for me, FINALLY, but after a longer than normal wait. I doubt very much that it's a virus, and probably just some poorly developed javascript, flash or multi-media element consistent on both pages.

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Count me in as well. Having problems in both firefox and safari. strange :confused:

10. Greg_C macrumors member

Same thing happened to me last night, ESPN and YouTube...Both load fine now though.

11. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Well, I'm glad things are working well for you guys, but it's still not working for me... this is one of the weirdest things ever.

I reset my safari... cache, history, etc...

Kinda of annoying.

12. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

My problem with YouTube is that for some reason, the audio and video have been going out of sync. It's not all the time, but it's definitely not just specific videos. I know it's not my computer because www.kcnc.com and www.cnn.com work for me.

13. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

when all else fails, restart... that seemed to do the trick

14. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

hmm, I did that yesterday morning and still didnt help, but good starting point nonetheless.

15. mgargan1 thread starter macrumors 65816

mgargan1

do you have flip4mac?

16. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

There is a thread about this over at the arstechnica forums. According to one of the posters, espn has fixed the problem. It was related to a new version of either java or flash. I rebooted and it's now fixited for me.

17. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

The last couple days Safari would load the pages (ESPN, YouTube, MR Forums) fine but freeze after 10-15 seconds or clicking a link. Firefox would freeze while loading. YouTube and MR Forums are working fine for me now in both browsers. ESPN is not freezing anymore but is taking forever to load.

18. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i'm not having a problem with espn.com at all (os x 10.4.8, safari 2.0.4), but one of my friends has been having a problem with espn.com the past two days. every time he loads it up, he gets the fruit loop before safari crashes. he's running 10.4.11 and safari 3.0.4 btw and he has tried everything (restart, sleep, etc.). any ideas of what to do for him? thanks.

19. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Glad I found this thread - I was having similar problems. I was starting to think that I was going crazy and was going to have to reinstall Safari, Firefox and the flash plug-in. I just rebooted, following the suggestions of those above. Several sites that weren't loading (zap2it.com, denverbroncos.com) are now fine, ESPN is loading now, but extremely slowly. Youtube seems ok. I was initially having a problem with the MR forums as well (front page was loading ok, forums ended up crashing both Safari and Firefox, but that problem seems to have resolved itself this morning, before I restarted).

Furcalchick, I'm not sure what else to suggest for your friend - has he tried resetting Safari and repairing permissions in addition to the reboot?

20. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

it's fine now, he said espn.com works for him now.