Problems with extension charger lead?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Peter Franks, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 68000

Has anyone had a problem with the lead for charging, fuse or something else?

It's working on the short lead, but it's not long enough to use with that one. I always have the extension part of the lead plugged in and was fine until last night, but today it's totally dead with it in, I've just taken it off and put the short lead in and it works fine. Any ideas please?

2. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 68000

Can anyone give me a clue which wattage I need to replace this with,
    It's an i5 MBP May '11 purchased. I thought there would just be one but there are several different Watts, Which is the correct one

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

The wattage is based on the size, not the processor. 13" laptops use the 60W, 15" and 17" use the 85W. The MacBook Air uses the 45W. You may be able to just find the part from the block to the wall (since it sounds like that's where the problem is).

jW

4. Ccrew macrumors 68020

13" ? Uses the 65watt.

You can use larger with no issue. smaller can affect the ability to both charge and use the computer at the same time.

5. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 68000

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

There are three models, 45, 60 and 85W, pick the middle one and you're good to go.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There is no 65W MagSafe adaptor. The old iBook/Powerbook adaptors (with the traditional pin style plugs) were 65W, hence the confusion. The adaptor you will want is the 60W. Did you see my first post, though? You may not need to replace the adaptor itself, and could save a lot of money if so.

jW

8. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 68000

Great, thank you people. 60 it is then... 14 day wait, apparently...