Problems with external display

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ohhs, Jan 9, 2009.

1. ohhs macrumors newbie

Hi this is my first post and my question is about connecting my alum macbook to a monitor i have. I bought the mini display port adapter to dvi but i realized my monitor does not have a dvi port but luckily i have a dvi to vga adapter that i can hook up to the dvi cable. when i plug in the cable to my external monitor nothing happens but my computer recognizes the monitor and in the settings it says that my computer found out the brand and model number, i can even change the resolution settings too. But nothing is showing on my monitor, the screen just stays on standby. I kno the monitor isnt the problem because i tried it on another monitor and it recognizes it but it still has the same problem. Does anyone know if there is a setting i am missing or something else? Thanks

2. Qwik macrumors member

3. ohhs thread starter macrumors newbie

yup and my laptop screen flashes when i plug the mini display adapter in too

4. Nitrousoxide macrumors newbie

Does you monitor have multiple inputs? You might need to change it if it's on the wrong one.

5. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

What you're trying to do won't work because the signal coming out of the Macbook is a DVI-D (where D stands for all digital) versus a DVI-I (where the I represents a digital and an integrated analog signal). In other words the analog part is missing and that's the part that gives you the picture when you use a DVI-I to VGA adapter. Since the other pins still carry information that's why your Macbook can still detect your monitor information but can't send the VGA signal to it.

6. ohhs thread starter macrumors newbie

wow thanks so theres no other way around this?

**edit**

if i get the mini display adapter to vga from apple, will it work?

7. tubbymac, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2011

tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

That will work, yes. It's Apple's way of forcing us to buy two adapters if we need both DVI and VGA :)

8. ohhs thread starter macrumors newbie

i just read the reviews on the apple site about the mini display port to vga adapter that people still seem to have problems on some monitors and lcd tvs (i also tried connecting my mini-display to dvi with the dvi to vga converter to my lcd tv and it doesnt work either). so id rather just save up for a new lcd monitor with a dvi input instead of paying $30 on a new adapter that might now work on an old monitor

9. NewMacbookPlz, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2011

NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

For your first bit there, it didn't work because you flat out, cannot go mini-display port--> DVI, then use a DVI-->VGA dongle. It just won't work due to a lack of analog signal on the line.

For the second bit, the MDP-->VGA connector did not work with my Samsung TV. Most of the reviews having issues appear to be with Samsung LCD TV's. It did however work with my 17" Dell LCD monitor. It has something to do with the MDP-->VGA adapter not carrying enough power for a large display to recognize the signal input.