Problems with External Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Heb1228, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

One of my firewire hard drives is giving me problems. I've got this one partitioned into three sections. One partition has been fine. The second partition has reported disk errors in Disk Utility but claims to have repaired the errors.

The third partition is the strange one. Disk Utility is reporting errors but cannot fix them. Here is the dialogue:
    Techtool Deluxe doesn't seem to work on external volumes (at least I haven't been able to get it to...) so I'm not sure I have any option short of buying a disk repair utility as far as saving the data. However, the data is not essential, and my main concern is that the drive itself is failing and not just that the file system has been corrupted. Anyone got any ideas on fixing the partition or whats going on with the drive?

2. Heb1228 thread starter macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Here's a bit of an update and a thread bump combined into one. I went ahead and erased the data on that partition and zeroed the data. Everything's been acting normal so far.

I wanted to test the drive with TechTool Deluxe but under the menu where you choose which volume to test, only the internal drive is listed. Is Techtool unable to test external drives? I can't find anything about this on their website.