Problems with External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by senorchang, Jul 24, 2010.

1. senorchang macrumors newbie

I just bought an external hard drive the other day and it was reformatted to NTFS, I was trying to transfer some files from my Mac to my PC but it won't let me drag and drop into it. However, the mac can read and open the files in the drive but I can't put anything in it from the Mac. Anyone know how to fix this/what's the problem? Thanks in advance!

2. circularforward macrumors 6502

Try macfuse and then install NTFS-3G. It should then allow you to write to NTFS.

3. senorchang thread starter macrumors newbie

How does one go about installing the NTFS-3G? Also, what exactly does macfuse do when I install it? (Still a mac newbie, bear with me please) >_>

4. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

If you don't have files bigger than 4GB just format it with MS-DOS(FAT) using Disk Utility under Mac OSx.

This way you could have read/write access both on PCs and Macs without extra software.

5. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I would just like to point out to the OP. It sounds like you are unaware that macs are unable to write files ( without add ons such as NTFS 3G ) to NTFS drives there is nothing wrong with the mac or the drive its just because you can't do that without additional software. If you are having problems with NTFS 3G try restarting.