Problems with fan and power after hard drive upgrade.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by E-Tech, Sep 26, 2011.

1. E-Tech macrumors member

Hi, just upgraded my 250gb hard drive to a Seagate 500gb Barracuda. I have been having some problems with the imac i get a kernel error to power off the unit and the fans are super loud I thought it was a bad power supply since all the LEDS are green. I swap it out and I still have the kernel error I tried resetting the memory thing by holding option, command and p r and still no luck.

Any ideas? and thanks in advance.

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

There is a thermal component that needs to be installed correctly on certain iMac's or the fan's take off. Take it into Apple and have a proper tech do the install or maybe iFixit can help or maybe some info here.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=808178&

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Any older iMac with a std 250GB HD does not have the fan issues of the 21.5/27 models. Older macs used the external sensor stuck directly on the drive. Usually fan issues on these older iMacs are related to bent/broken or misaligned pin contacts when reconnecting the sensor or failing to get the sensor to stay stuck to the drive.

Cheers,

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Either way. Check the thermal sensor.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Indeed that should resolve the fan noise, but I'm at a loss to explain the kernel errors. Don't know why changing the drive would cause that unless a clone or restoration was corrupted. Perhaps a fresh OS X install would fix that.

Cheers,

6. E-Tech thread starter macrumors member

4SNS/1/40000000 :'TLOP- 131.000 Error code I'm getting when Im doing built in diagnostic.

7. E-Tech thread starter macrumors member