Problems with fan in MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SKaufman87, Feb 13, 2011.

1. SKaufman87 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Aluminum (purchased in January of 2009). It's very lightly used, internet basically. Occasional game use. That sort of thing.

However, two days a go, I noticed the computer running pretty loud with just searching the internet on FireFox. It wasn't all that hot or anything, just loud and there was this slight grinding sound.

I'm guessing that it's the fan failing. I only hear it when I lift the computer to my ear, it sounds like it's coming from underneath the keyboard. I'm hardly tech savvy so I'm not even sure if that's what it is.

Other than that, the computer itself is running pretty smoothly. I can't say I've noticed anything different other than that sound.

My question is this though, how long can I keep my computer going on like this? I do need my computer for everyday use (I'm a college student, so it's kind of necessary to have one at the moment.) Right now, though, I'm not in the financial area to bring it to the Apple Store to get it fixed (I'm gonna buy AppleCare when I get the money but right now it's just been really tough.) It's gonna be at least a month till I can bring it in.

Am I damaging my computer more by using it and not getting it fixed right away?

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

you can no longer buy applecare- you have to purchase it within the first year of purchase. It doesn't sound that loud if you have to put your ear up to it. My wife's Macbook gets extremely loud with the fans with light usage- been that way for over a year and no issues yet. Although it is just a fan noise and is a consistent noise with no grinding noise, although I can hear it from across the room it is so loud.

I can't remember how you would monitor the heat of individual components of your computer- but there are ways if you want to be sure you are not overheating anything.

Other than that I don't think you are going to do any damage by continuing to use it. (do you have your stuff backed up just in case though?!!?) At least backed up to dvd if not an external HD backup. Remember, failure of hard drives can happen without any warning signs!!)

3. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

If you want to monitor the temperatures, fan speeds etc then try one of the iStat products from http://www.islayer.com/apps.

I'd guess the system fan was going. It's probably something daft like a Flash-powered advert on a webpage using the CPUs.

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

I had forgotten about iStat- not sure where my copy of it went. I should download it again.

I had not thought of flash- that will do it for sure.

I recommend you install click to flash even if it wasn't flash- will help your computer run quicker! (and keeps those stupid dancin' people advertisements from showing up all over your browser pages!) click to flash can be found here!