Problems with Firefox 2.14 crashing and Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacFanJeff, Apr 29, 2008.

1. MacFanJeff macrumors regular

I recently installed the most current version of Firefox 2.14 and it has been have a LOT of issues just crashing all of a sudden. Sometimes it triggers when you go to the help menu, other times it is just random no matter what.

I checked to see about plug-ins and cleared all them out. I am using Leopard and the new Safari 3.1.1 works just fine. Has anyone else had problems with the current Firefox 2.14 crashing on them? I have 8GB of memory and not much else to troubleshoot.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3. Slothapotamus macrumors member

I've been getting crashes with 2.14 on my MacBook too. I didn't have this problem with 2.13 (I've only had my MB for a month). It only crashes occasionally though so it's not a major problem for me. I just wish they'd hurry up and release FF3.

4. MacFanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I tried to fully uninstall and reinstall Firefox 2.14 without success. It works fine for awhile but then crashes still at random times. That's with no extensions installed at all and starting over. The only thing I can guess is perhaps it's something to do with Leopard 10.5.2 or one of it's updates that is applied. Safari still works fine though so I guess I will be using that since there are no problems with it. Maybe others are having issues with Firefox 2.14 as well with the current version of Leopard but I know that mine certainly is not stable for whatever reason.

5. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

I have been using Firefox 3 beta and it is very stable, fast, etc. On my new MBP I don't even have version 2.

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

plz do try aforementioned new profile, uninstall and subsequent re-installation of firefox app itself do not correct corrupted profile.

7. MacFanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry if I wasn't clear but I did just that and still have problems at random times of it just quiting. I totally trashed the profile and did the re-install. Also, I notice I don't get a popup like in the Windows version saying to see the bar to "allow" a specific site to install a plug-in or allow pop-ups.

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

strange, all the syndrome you described, exactly feels like old profile is still there. By default, you should see info bars for pop ups and extensions.

Im not sure if you got the right folder (sorry not mean to offend u, but there are quite a bunch of locations there that might be confusing),

u can test yourself tho, if the old profile is really trashed and emptied. when firefox first runs, it will ask to import files, if your firefox didn't ask for that and open directly, then your profile is still there.

If its indeed new profile, I can only suggest u to try firefox 3 beta5.

9. MacFanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice. It did indeed ask for me to import my bookmarks again and for my start page. So I assume that I deleted all of it since like you said that should do it.

I will try Firefox 3 and see if it works. Safari 3.1.1 works just fine though.