Problems with FireWire port on new MBP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by superspiffy, Apr 25, 2007.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

I just bought a 2.33ghz C2D MBP and I think there's a major problem with the FireWire ports...

I find that when I attach my external HDD to the FireWire 800 while at the same time, hooking a video cam to the FireWire 400, neither of the two devices can run. I can't access the external HDD, nor can I run the video cam smoothly in FCP.
    But, when I switch off the devices one at a time, they work perfectly. So basically, I'm able to access the external HDD if the camcorder is not attached; and I can capture clips on FCP perfectly, if the external HDD is not attached. One or the other...

And I have tried switching FireWire cables already.

Also I'm a first time Mac user so please be simple with explanations :eek:

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

FW 400 & 800 Ports Should Both Work At The Same Time

Call AppleCare. That should not be not working simultaneously. You need a repair.

3. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Multimedia, I did that and AppleCare assured me that this was "normal" due to the power limitations in the MBP.

"MacBook Pro computers supply 1.5 Amps of power at 12 Volts. One port may provide up to 14 Watts of power if nothing is connected to the other port. If both ports are in use, their maximum power output is 7 Watts per port."
    -Apple

They said even though my external HDD and my video cam is plugged in the wall, the video cam power adapter may only be providing enough power to keep the video cam running, but is most likely not powering the FireWire port too. They said to get a FireWire hub with its own power adapter and this can solve my problems.

I guess I'm kinda in peace now, knowing there isn't any hardware defects in my MBP, but what do you guys think of that explanation? Also, don't FireWire hubs (and also USB hubs) cut the speed of the transmission, because they're channeling multiple peripherals to one port?