Problems with fitness goals?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dj1891, Nov 30, 2018.

1. dj1891 macrumors 6502

dj1891

I'm a fairly active guy, I'm 6ft 170lbs. I can clock up 12000 steps per day as I'm a tradesman. I also lift weights 4 times per week, My move goal is set to the default 6xx?, for how active I am some days I don't even hit that move goal and I know I should be. I am a fit guy and my heart rate resting is fairly low in the 40's, I can only assume this move goal has something to do with heart rate and it takes a fair bit for mine to go up. I'm 170lbs, take a guy 250lbs carrying more fat obviously his heart rate is gonna go up quicker than mine and thus move goal achieved faster. I suppose I have a similar sort of issue with the exercise goal, 30 mins per day, mine will not physically move until I go to the gym at night, even though I walk around all day at work it won't move.

Have I got this all wrong? I never had any issues with a fitbit. I'd win workweek hustles every week, on the AW I win damn all

2. ManicMarc macrumors 6502

You've nailed it. The fitter you are, the more you need to exert yourself for it to count as exercise. I have the same issue, being tall, not weighing much, and having a low resting rate. My watch has just suggested as December challenge I do 67 minutes of exercise every day, which I think is a bit extreme without dietary and lifestyle alterations.

3. dj1891 thread starter macrumors 6502

dj1891

Being fit is a bad thing I guess as you really have to get that heart rate up to do anything whereas a fat guy just has to go for a little stroll. Comparing my steps with others i'm in competition with I could double there's whereas they beat me on points. Steps really has damn all to do with AW unlike fitbit which is why I won everything on Fitbit and never win competitions on AW

4. razmanugget macrumors newbie

I'm in the same situation, but my resting heart rate is a bit high. I'll set my activity to biking, go for an hour long bike ride, and get credit for 15-20 minutes at most. It's weird.

5. tromboneaholic, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018

tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

It would appear that a move goal of 600+ on Apple Watch is too high for you. I believe the default is actually 330 (before you enter your information). I would look at your move total on the watch at the end of an active day, and add 10 or 20 to that number as your new goal. That way it encourages you to be more active. You can increase it every week if you want.

Move ring can be influenced by heart rate, but primarily it's influenced by your movement. The exercise ring seems much more dependent on your heart rate to be elevated before the ring starts moving.

6. ManicMarc, Dec 1, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018

ManicMarc macrumors 6502

Steps are indeed a poor measurement of exercise. Two people could both do 10,000 steps in a day, one person might run those steps, and the other might walk them at a leisurely pace. That's why Apple have quite rightly made the focus calories instead.
    That said, active calories are a fairer comparison. If someone less fit does a sub 30 minute 5K, they've probably exerted themselves more than if I did a sub 23 minute. It's only fair they get the appropriate credit!