Problems with Flash websites on ipod touch browser

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jedisaga, Sep 29, 2008.

1. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

All,

Not sure if this has been addressed in this forum, but am I doing something wrong or need to download software to view sites on Safari using my ipod touch? I receive a grey background with a little box in the middle. Is Flash supported?

Eric - Jedisaga

2. BoabSmith macrumors newbie

3. jedisaga thread starter macrumors 6502

jedisaga

Will this be fixed in future software updates? Is it a problem with Apple and Adobe licensing?

4. Mechanicus macrumors member

I think Apple can produce it with the capability, but they haven't.

5. mpshay macrumors 6502

Can it be fixed? Certainly...If they want to support Flash they could!

6. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Adobe has gone on record as saying that they were trying to produce a Flash player for the iPhone using the SDK, but that they were very limited in what they would be able to accomplish because of restrictions in Apple's SDK license (most likely the clauses restricting plug-ins and running interpreted code outside of Apple's published APIs).

Steve Jobs (Apple's CEO) has commented that Flash's existing implementations on other ultra mobile platforms have traditionally seemed too clumsy, limited, and power-hungry to be a worthwhile addition to the iPhone/iPod touch platform at the moment. In his opinion, by encouraging webmasters to leverage other open web standards that are already supported by the iPhone, most of the functionality that Flash would have brought to the table can be had by other means.

7. allinon72 macrumors newbie

To me, it's yet another example of Apple having the capability to do it, yet choosing not to, for whatever reason. The same can be said about copy/paste.