Problems with Genius update in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by downingp, Oct 5, 2008.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

Is anyone else having problems updating genius in iTunes. It seems like I have not been able to update genius for quite some time. Every time I try to update genius, I get an error message, when apple is delivering the results, saying the network connection timed out. I don't think I am having network problems because I never lose my internet connection.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am surprised no one else is having this problem.
    It doesn't seem to be my internet because I am able to surf the web while it is updating.

Could it have anything to do with the amount of traffic on the servers?

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I'm in the UK and my Genius updated successfully.

4. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am using an Airport Extreme and an Airport Express to create my wireless network in my home. Is there maybe a setting I need to change even though I am able to get on the internet without any problems?

5. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I just tried it. Worked fine for me was kinda slow but did update.

If you can get online, and access the iTunes store it should work.

6. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I can certainly get online and also access the iTunes store. I am baffled.
    All of my music is in Apple Lossless format, but I can't imagine that would cause problems.
    Genius will check my library, then send my information to Apple. Its on the, "Delivering Genius results" is when iTunes times out.

7. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

All my CD imports are in Apple Lossless so that doesn't make a difference. I don't know what to say, that is an odd problem.

8. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Would it have anything to do with my internet provider timing out even though I can access the internet fine?

9. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

It could since it takes a while to get the info from Apple. I have Cox Cable Premier and it still sit's there a while waiting to get the update from Apple.

10. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am using Cox as well. I have the their regular high speed internet service. Supposedly their basic service will get up to 10mb/s download now instead of 7mb/s like it used to be. When I do a speed test I am usually around the 10mb/s

11. bhunt01 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with an Airport Extreme. If I replace it with my old belkin G router - which is slower- it works. Any ideas?