Problems with gestures or multi-touch interface

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by geodezinr, Feb 13, 2009.

1. geodezinr macrumors newbie

Has anyone every experienced frustration using the iPhone's gesture or multi-touch interface? If so, what are your frustrations???

thanks

2. zachplaysguitar macrumors 6502

zachplaysguitar

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

Obvious troll is obvious.

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Your first post OP? Welcome to Macrumors..... Calling it like it might very well be

4. geodezinr thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes it is my very first post. I'm a graduate student working on a research project studying gestural/multi-touch interface accessibility for people have dexterity challenges.

I've looked over the massive forums trying to find mention of problems but i have been unsuccessful. So, i am reaching out and asking the question to see what kind of responses i get.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I have always had great success with the multi touch on the iphone. It is very natural feeling. The iphone screen is the most sensitive/responsive out of any phone I have ever used.

The iphone can recognize up to 5 touches at once, and the touch is "sensed" by a disturbance in the electrical field beneath the screen:

Here is a picture if you haven't already seen it. :)
    [​IMG]

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have some mobility problems, and yes, I've found some difficulty with using the touch interface, and imagine that people with more extensive mobility issues would have correspondingly more problems.

The most serious difficulty I've encountered so far is inadvertently deleting things with the "swipe to get the delete button, then tap to delete" feature. I would inadvertently swipe while trying to tap an item to activate it, then tap it before I can stop myself. Poof! No more item. :(

I also have to try several times before activating features that require double-tapping in order to activate. I also find myself missing the mark quite often and tapping things next to the button/link I was trying to hit. It's usually not too difficult to back out or undo the results of inadvertent taps, but sometimes, I end up doing something I can't undo. Gestures that require more than one finger are also quite awkward for me and I find myself avoiding functions that require me to do that.

Using a stylus can help me be more accurate in hitting my intended target, but I haven't successfully double-tapped with a stylus. (In other words, it's harder to double-tap with a stylus than with my finger.)

Good luck with your research, it's good to know people are studying how to make things more usable for everybody.