Problems with graphics card? Square distortion in the center of screen.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Don Nguyen, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Don Nguyen macrumors member

My two previous older macs have been perfect to me, but this new MBP I5 model is giving so many issues lately.

Every once in a while, my computer's graphics (I am assuming) goes crazy, and I get this pixelated distortion that's right in the middle of my screen that's about 2"x5" on my 17" screen.

This happened just earlier, while I was using Safari. However, even after closing all of the Safari windows down, the distortion will still be there, and will stay there regardless of what I have or don't have open.

Logging in and out will fixes the problem, and everything goes back to normal for the mean time.

Any one ever experience similar problems or know what I could do to see what's going or fix it? I may really just have to bring it into the apple store.

-Don

2. Don Nguyen thread starter macrumors member

Was able to capture a picture of it. This is the biggest I could get. Anything bigger would make the picture capture be a complete black out.

[​IMG]

-Don

3. Viktor Vaughn macrumors newbie

4. Viktor Vaughn macrumors newbie

Don,

Did the problem go away? What did you do about it?

5. BSears, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

BSears macrumors newbie

same problem here

I'm a relative noob to Macs, having been a slave to MS OS for years. I just recently started having the same problem - unfortunately, it doesn't look like anyone has offered a solution or identified the root of the problem. I get the same screen pixelation when trying to reply to gmail emails - only mine covers the entire screen, not just a small section like in Don's post. Logging out and restarting fixes it but it has reoccurred.

Oh, I've got the MB Pro 15 also with hi res screen, if that matters. Thanks!

Edit: Mine has the NVIDIA Ge Force 330 graphics card (I assume for a auxiliary monitor) and built in bus for the Intel HD Graphics card.

6. drambuie macrumors 6502a

What you have is display corruption, either with the GPU or graphics RAM, most likely with the RAM. When you log out and in, the graphics subsystem is reset, which temporarily clears the issue.

Contact Apple about this. It looks like a logic board replacement will be the solution. The fact that you can get a screenshot of the corruption confirms that it's a logic board problem, and not related to the LCD screen.

7. BSears macrumors newbie

stupid question, but is there a keyboard shortcut for capturing the screen when it does this so that I can take it to a local Apple Service Center? Thanks

8. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Try: Shift-Command-3 to grab the whole screen. It will put it on the desktop as a png file. Shift-Command-4 can capture a selected area.

9. Raggy macrumors newbie

This happens to me at times, but often only when I have a few safari windows open. Does it only happen when you're surfing the net - or at other times?

10. BSears macrumors newbie

I've only noticed it when using Safari - and I did have multiple safari windows open.