Problems with graphics error / "particles" in Lion (clean install)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by lifeform, Oct 7, 2011.

1. lifeform macrumors member

Hi,

RiP Steve.

I have had problems with the graphics in OSX all the time since I installed Lion on my new iMac 27".

That´ll say they are not present all the time, but I get little errors on the filemenu, dock, around the edges when I move a window, etc.

Check out the screenshots: https://skitch.com/lifeform/f9gje/problems-with-the-graphcs-in-lion and https://skitch.com/lifeform/f9gpg/screen-shot-2011-10-08-at-03.52.33.

These small little errors persist all the time when they have first occurred. Only restarting removes them (can´t verify that logging off and on removes them, but I forcefully removed all the processes via activity monitor earlier today without any luck).

Any tips on fixing this?

I am on a clean install of Lion via USB-stick and have downloaded all the latest updates. New iMac 27" as of july 2011. 3.1 GHz Core i5 and 8GB RAM.

2. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think your graphics card is shot.

3. lifeform thread starter macrumors member

Have considered that myself... Will let the store which I bought it from take a look at it, if it can´t be fixed with drivers or patches to Lion.

4. GuerillaTech macrumors member

I'm not saying that you shouldn't get it looked at, but i will say that my macbook pro suffered a similar problem after clean installing to Lion. After going back to Snow Leopard, I haven't had a single graphical issue. Try dual booting with snow leopard and see if you can replicate the problem there.

5. lifeform thread starter macrumors member

Hi GuerillaTech, thanks for your reply :)

My suspicions are on the same here.... I didnt either have this problem with Snow Leopard, which was installed earlier on this Mac, and Lion have been really buggy (almost tempting to call it Apple´s Windows Vista...!) with lots of other minor problems.

Must be either on or the other...

6. GuerillaTech macrumors member

No problem. :)
    At first, Lion was perfectly fine.
    Eventually all the problems started to show, such as kernel panics and graphics issues.
    I switched back to SL after a little over a month (10.7.1 changed nothing).
    I am anxiously waiting for 10.7.2 to give Lion another chance though.

7. lifeform thread starter macrumors member

K

I have had kernel panics also... Maybe it´s some of the installed apps that makes the graphic mode in Lion to act up ??

Any way to check whick apps is safe or not ?