Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JW008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
So I'm loving my new 20" Intel iMac. Moving from an 800Mhz G4 iMac to this is ridiculously awesome, but I'm having a couple of buggy problems with it that I never experienced with my PPC iMac, mainly isolated to iTunes.

First, this new iPod update DOES NOT want to install. Every time I plug my iPod in and try to update it, iTunes freezes to the point that I have to restart the computer in order to get it to come back. (I can't even Force Quit it closed.) Has anyone else run across this problem? This is my first Intel Mac so I'm wondering if it has something to do with that (I NEVER had problems with iTunes on my PPC Macs) or if it's something different. iTunes will also randomly freeze on me when creating playlists or browsing the iTunes store...

Overall everything is a little buggy. I've had Safari crash on me a couple of times (doing nothing but looking at sports' scores on ESPN.com) and iPhoto crash on me many times doing nothing but scrolling through pictures. Backup never works (of course it never did on my old Mac, either!). Is anyone else having these problems? Should I call Apple and ask them about it? The iMac is less than two weeks old...I don't feel like I should be having these problems.

edit: This probably should have gone under either Mac Software or Mac Hardware, but it originally started out as just an iTunes question!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't use the Intel machines daily so I haven't experienced the same problems as you. However, let's start with iTunes. What sort of iPod do you have and is restoring the firmware (erasing everything) an option? :)

JW008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
I have a 5G iPod and I guess it's an option---but is it the iPod's fault or iTunes...never had any problems with the iPod before and I can still connect it, it's just when I try to update it....I'll try it though...Thanks! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.