Problems with iMac 27 model MC511Y/A 2011

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Tian2014, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Tian2014 macrumors newbie

Hi there!
    I have problem with my iMac, Genius Bar didn´t know what do to, they simply re set the software. The problems appears when video or audio programs are running, it crashed I have to rebut the iMac with the star bottom and they doest work any longer for the rest of the day!! After a fwe years it goes more often this error. Some know what can be? the video card??

Thank you for your help, don´t know what to do...

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Your description was pretty vague and it was hard to decipher, but it sounds like you're experiencing kernel panics when the machine crashes.

If wiping the machine's hard drive and reloading the OS and all your data (make sure you have a backup!) doesn't stop the crashes, then you're looking at a hardware fault of some kind. Could be the hard drive, main logic board or the RAM modules. At that point, they would have to keep the machine to do a diagnostic.

If it's out of warranty, then you'll have to make a decision regarding repair costs versus replacement.

3. Tian2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, not so good in english!

The iMax freezes quite often, sometimes 3/4 times a day, usually with video or audio programs. I was checking with some blogs and found out that is quite often!!?? ( iMac freezes fully at random times (late 2012) - MacRumors Forums)

Mine is mid 2010, could be RAM, snow leopard software, etc... nobody seems to know... need where to star looking, any test to make? unfortunate out of waranty. Thank youuuu

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Definitely not normal. Shouldn't crash at all.

I'd start by backing everything up (because everything will get wiped clean), reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling the OS. Before you restore your data, test the machine and see if it's still crashing the same way. If it's no longer crashing, then you're good to go.

If it still crashes, then I'd start with the RAM modules first (since they're easiest to access). Either buy or borrow some new modules and test them, or test your modules one by one until you find the one causing the crashes. I'm sure you can Google several methods of going through the RAM modules to see if you can find one which is causing the crashes.

If it's still crashing even after verifying the RAM modules and formatting/reinstalling the OS, then you have a more complicated problem. It could be the hard drive, difficult - but not impossible - to replace on an iMac. Or it could be the main system board, in which case you're facing a potentially expensive repair.

5. Tian2014 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! thank you very much!! didn´t know were to start

Could be also related to the video card - ATI RADION HD 5750. I heard some of these have trouble with software 10.6.7-10.7.2/3 ??