problems with imac os 10.5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chaslam80, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Chaslam80 macrumors newbie

Where to be begin! I have been having a number of problems. Firstly the clock and other icons disappeared from the top tool bar. Then Safari would not play videos. Then safari, system preferences started freezing open. Even when I force quit them they stay there. Or if they do go, the icon shows that it is still open and it won't reopen. I have ran onyx and it made no difference. Verified the disk, fixed permissions still no difference.

Then the mac wouldn't come on from a restart. It was just freezing on a blue screen.

I have opened it in safe mode (which works fine) and had a good clean out - but no improvement. It opened after about 5 attempts and took much longer then usual.

Then I reinstalled the OS (archive and re-install method) from the DVD and when I turned it back on it looked exactly the same and had the same issues. After another couple of restarts its appearance has changed and it now looks like it has been reinstalled ifyswim - the desktop, apps, icons etc are back to how they were when I got it.

It still is not working. Just opened system preferences and it is stuck open with the pinwheel of doom just spinning and spinning. Any ideas??? :confused:

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Which iMac do you own?

Could be a logic board issue (if it's a G5) or an HDD issue.

3. chown33 macrumors 604

Could be the hard disk is failing.

Make a full backup to a reliable disk.

Buy a replacement.

Buying a replacement HD is cheaper than a logic board replacement. It may even be cheaper than having a technician evaluate what's wrong with the computer. Worst case, you end up with a backup hard disk for about $100.

4. Chaslam80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I own an imac that is about 4.5 years old (model no A1224)... if that helps.

I was hoping that it was going to be a software issue, but i think that you are both right that it looks more like a hardware issue.

Luckily it is backed up using time machine to an external drive. Do you think that is sufficient or should I perform some other backup procecure?

Thanks again

----------

What about safe mode. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if everything is working ok in safe mode, does that rule out a hardware issue?

5. chown33 macrumors 604

Working for how long? Your first post described some intermittent problems.

If you run under a Safe Boot for several hours, with no problems at all, then it's possible it's a software problem. However, Safe Boot may disable certain standard OS features (audio and wireless come to mind), so it could still be a hardware problem, only it's not being triggered by Safe Boot.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1564