Problems with iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by brettmorris, Jun 22, 2007.

1. brettmorris macrumors newbie

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I purchased a JVC camcorder and am having trouble burning a good quality DVD. JVC tell me that I should convert my files using Streamclip to Quicktime or MPEG2. I have tried converting to Quicktime but, although the quality is better than MPEG4, it's still not great. I can't see any MPEG2 option in Streamclip, except "convert to MPEG with MP2 audio. When I use this option, iMovie won' let me import the files. I have wasted about ten DVD's trying work this out as well ascountless hours of time. I can't use the editing software that came with the camcorder as my computer tells me that a necessary library is missing, which JVC can't seem to help me with. I am desperate to work this out and the DVD I want to make has priceless footage of my son's year 11 ball, so it's very disappointing to not be able to share this special event with family and friends by way of DVD.
    Brett

2. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

1. What kind of camera is this? MiniDV, Hard Drive, DVD?
    2. Is the quality bad on your computer screen, and does it look ok on your tv?
    3.What is the original file type?
    4. How many minutes/hours of video are you putting on one DVD?

Also, a good thing to do is in iDVD, save as disc image. Then you can launch the image file after its created and open up the dvd player and you can play it in the quality it would be at if it were burned. Most of the time the quality won't look to great on a hi-res monitor

3. huntercr macrumors 65816

I'm guessing his camcorder is recording in MPEG2, this would cause all the problems he's seeing. You can't edit MPEG2 files natively in imovie.

Here's what you need to do:
    1. First make sure you have plenty of harddrive space
    2. Import your movie from the camera like you normally do ( how are you doing this BTW, are you using DVHSCap? )
    3. use streamclip to convert the file to a DV file.
    4. import the DV file into imovie.

Hope this helps!