Problems with Internal Microphone when Video Chatting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rai Saix, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Rai Saix macrumors member

About two months ago I purchased a base model 13" MacBook Pro with a core i5 processor. This is my first mac, and I must say I absolutely love it, and could not be happier. However I have not been able to video chat with others on either Skype, nor Facebook Video Chat, and I would like some help troubleshooting this issue. When I have attempted to use such services, the other person can see me perfectly, however they cannot hear me at all, no matter what I do. I can also see and hear them just fine on my end. I have checked Skype>Preferences>Audio/Video and this is what I have selected:

Microphone: Built-in Input (Internal Microphone)

Camera: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)

I know that my microphone is working properly on it's own, because I have recorded videos as a test of it's functionality and the sound in them is crystal clear.

Under System Preferences>Sound I had this selected:

Device for sound input: Internal Microphone

My input volume is on the highest setting, and the audio gauge next to the Input Level is picking up sounds just fine.

Is this simply a software issue, or should I call Apple? I have also tried to reinstall Skype, but that didn't seem to help either. On Facebook, I cannot even find any preference menu for the video chat to attempt any sort of troubleshooting. Needless to say, I'm very frustrated at this point. Could someone help me there, as well?

Thank you very much for any and all help.

2. Rai Saix thread starter macrumors member

It might also be noteworthy to point out that the person that I am attempting to chat with has a Dell, not another Mac.

3. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Try communicating to another user to rule out the possibility of an error in your friends computer. Also, try YouTube's live upload feature, it records live input from the camera, so you can use this to check if recorded audio is streaming online.