problems with internet connection dropping out

Discussion in 'iMac' started by cupsoftea, Nov 13, 2011.

1. cupsoftea macrumors newbie

I have a 2006 imac running os x 10.6.8, 2.16 intel core 2 duo, with 3 gb 667 mhz ddr2 sdram. Airport drops out of of connection while other things like PS3 have downloaded very large files (7gb!) The mac bottoms out sometimes not even having downloaded a gig, I have a 40gb internet connection which runs at just under 5meg per sec. Any thoughts why or any fixes most gratefully received! Cheers!

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

What modem manufacturer? Cable or DSL? You are running a g based card so it has 54Mb theoretical but you'll never get close to that. How far away are you from router?

3. cupsoftea thread starter macrumors newbie

router

Its a bt homehub 2.0 if that helps, its in the same room as the mac :)

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Not familiar with that modem as I am in the US. I ask because OS X has trouble with some cable modems relative to Windows. They may be doing something that Unix is not too happy with. Like traffic shaping etc...
    So does it drop connection suddenly or have you observed it just slowing down constantly? I'd do a PRAM zap first off. Re-boot Mac and hold cmmd-opt-p-r for 3 boot chimes and release. You can also try ditching your network prefs and re-crating them.
    Since it is an iMac why are you not using the GigE port? Does that have problems too?