Problems with internet sharing (iMac and MacBook)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Tehy, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Tehy macrumors regular

Hi,

I have shared my iMac's (white 24") internet connection via Airtport, because I would like to use internet with my MacBook. The Problem is that it's not working like it should, evertyhing was fine when both machines ran on Tiger. Now both has Leopard and my MacBook just don't want to stay connected. When I boot my MacBook. Everything is working like it should but suddenly it just drops the connection and only reboot helps. MacBook's status bar still shows that I'm connected to the network and it has full signal but when I open the web browser, it says I'm not connected... What a hell could be wrong?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Since you had it working, I am guessing you already checked your setting in:
    System Preferences / Sharing / Internet / Personal Web Sharing.

Do you have the latest updates?
    Did you set a password on the shared network?

Perhaps you should try some of these, one at a time to see if it solved your problem:
    - iMac: Turn sharing off, and turn it back on
    - iMac: reboot
    - MB: Sys Pref / Network / Airport / TCP/IP / Renew DHCP Lease
    - MB: Go back to 10.4.10 (some have problems with 10.4.11)

3. Tehy thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, I have all the latest updates. Both machines are running on 10.5.1. Turning sharing on and off from iMac doesn't help. Only thing that helps is to reboot my MacBook, but that's not an option if I'm loosing my connection every 15 min...

4. nospleen macrumors 68020

nospleen

5. Tehy thread starter macrumors regular

Huh, nice to know that I'm not alone... I guess this must be somekind of bug in Leopard :/

6. McBob macrumors member

Same Here

I'm in University now and used to share my connection from my imac running Leopard to my Powerbook running Tiger. All worked fine, then my GF bought a Macbook and it would only connect occasionally, even if the powerbook worked fine.

Then about a month ago my Powerbook got stolen and Replaced with Macbook Pro running Leopard which is behaving alike the Macbook, yet even worse as I rarely get a working connection. This also includes the ipod touch so i don't know if its the sending or receiving aspect since Tiger seemed to receive fine!

xxRob