Problems with iOS 6 - FaceTime / iMessages

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by jbrown, Nov 18, 2012.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Hi All

Using iPhone 5 with iOS 5 and MacbookPro running latest Mountain Lion

I seem not to be able to use FaceTime or iMessages anymore ( since upgrading to iOS 6 it seems )

I used to use them on my previous iPhone 4s ( iOS 5 ).

Now they don't want to work.

In the phones settings - when I turn them on, they just say " Waiting for Activation "...and it never progresses.

If I try to Facetime my number from my laptop it says " Jxxxx Bxxxx is not available for Facetime."

If I try to message myself with iMessage it says " Your message could not be sent. 079xx - xxxxxx ( phone number ) is not registered with iMessage"

Any ideas how to fix this please?

Many thanks

:):)

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I am not sure if this is related but it seems that iMessages, at least for me, are down currently. I assume this would also effect FaceTime.

3. mikejd1 macrumors 6502

iMessage is not working for me. Hasn't been for the past 30 min

4. zzoomp09 macrumors 6502

zzoomp09

yeah me too. looks like apple servers are down?

5. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

6. StumpyBloke macrumors regular

StumpyBloke

Down here in the UK too...shouldn't complain...it's been a whole 2 weeks since it went down last time :/

7. rmwebs macrumors 68040

iMessage down...what a shock. The crap cloud did make it 14 days since its last outage though! :rolleyes:

8. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

Been trying to get mine to activate all day and no luck - this is becoming a consistent problem! Regularly on a Sunday the imessage/FaceTime servers go down. Thinking if just reverting back to standard SMS. Surprisingly poor from apple

9. StumpyBloke macrumors regular

StumpyBloke

I don't think it's that surprising to be honest...their iCloud reliability has been appalling lately: definitely a more and more common occurrence.

Queue all the Crapple apologists.... :)

10. r-m macrumors 6502a

Trying to activate is a consistent problem? Why are you needing to activate so often?

11. schmidt65 macrumors 6502

No - iMessage going down (and therefore the settings screen going back to 'waiting for activation') is becoming a consistent problem.

12. r-m macrumors 6502a

Oh! I have to admit, I've never actually looked at the settings screen when it's gone down. Just assumed it was down and would be back up eventually...
    But yeah, it's very annoying!

13. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

My iMessage has been down since 9AM EST , Pa. Two weeks in a row this has happend.

14. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

this is rediculous, imessage goes down once a week.

15. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Yep, down for me as well.

Did a reboot, now asks for my AppleID for iMessage, when i enter it, is keeps coming back that its incorrect. Then says waiting for activation, then error.

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

iMessage does appear to be down. Messages from my wife are coming in as iMessages but going out only as SMS. Though for me, it's been pretty reliable lately. Even Gmail went down a couple weeks ago.

----------

http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/systemstatus/

Officially down.

17. 100Teraflops, Nov 18, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2012

100Teraflops macrumors 6502a

100Teraflops

What is very strange is: I turned off sending iMessages as texts if the network is down, but the messages are being sent as texts anyways. Anyone else notice this and have an explanation?

18. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Factime and iMessage are currently down for some users, according to apple:

http://www.apple.com/support/icloud/systemstatus/

iCloud: iMessage - Users Affected: Some
    11/18/2012 13:34 PST
    Users are unable to use iMessage. Normal service will be restored ASAP.
    iCloud: FaceTime - Users Affected: Some
    11/18/2012 13:33 PST
    Users may be unable to place FaceTime calls. Normal service will be restored ASAP.

19. zzoomp09 macrumors 6502

zzoomp09

20. GustavFH macrumors newbie

My iMessage "fix"

Hey Guys!

Two days ago, I updated to 6.0.1 from 6.0 and suddenly iMessage didn't work.
    I had the message "waiting for activation"

I tried a lot of solutions mentioned on our forum here and various other sites and videos without luck.

I think the option below it said "use apple I'd for iMessage", so I tried that a couple of times, but I kept getting the "wrong user name or password" info.

Eventually I found the "send and receive" option further down and remembered that I had selected only my @me-address in there. I selected my @icloud as well and now it works..

It still said "activation failed" at the top where it used to say "waiting for activation" but it works anyway.

I hope this works for others that have the issue!

Gus

21. jbrown thread starter macrumors 6502a

jbrown

Problem fixed

Well after quite a while the problem has been fixed - thanks to very good support from Apple.

It needed my iPhone backed up and retored to factory settings. So first I backed up my phone to keep the data safe. Here's where it got somewhat complex - as it wouldn't restore throwing up 'Error 3014'.

After much searching the support person asked me to open terminal - and enter a Sudo command that listed the hosts ( bear in mind I know nothing of Terminal ). She asked if there was any entries ending " ...apple.com".

There weren't any so she advised me to put in " gs.apple.com " which I did, and we then re-tried to restore ( to factory settings ) the phone.

This worked

We set up the phone as a new phone in iTunes, and iMessage & FaceTime worked fine :) Then we restored my last back up...and it all worked fine :D:D

Good work by Apple :apple:

22. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

The issue I'm having with iMessage is that I can't select my phone number to send messages from, it is greyed out. I can only pick email addresses. I haven't gotten a text from another iPhone user since Saturday. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

23. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

It's almost as if your phone is showing up as not being activated, only my iPhone 4, which is not activated has the phone number grayed out. Are you having any phone service issues with this device besides just texting?

24. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

Nope. I can dial out and receive calls. I can send & received texts to non-iPhone users. And I can send & receive emails. I've had a sync issue between my Numbers (only on my 4s) and the sheets on the iCloud since August. I'm at a loss. I really don't want to do a restore, as I'm not sure what can be restored and what can't in terms of texts, and other junk.