Problems with iPhone 4s and Verizon activation

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Terri French, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Terri French macrumors newbie

My daughter upgraded to an iPhone 4s with Verizon about four weeks ago. The phones were back ordered and she didn't receive it until yesterday. She spent a couple of hours in the store yesterday and more time on the phone last evening trying to get it activated. No luck on the activation. Now today she spent another hour in the store where they wiped everything off the phone with still no luck. I just called Verizon's technical support where they said that they thought the problem was with their system but that now Apple has said that the problem is with them. They had no estimate on time it would be fixed. Is anyone else having problems activating?

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Have your daughter turn her existing phone off totally. In fact, if she's ever used another phone in the family on her line, turn it off as well.

was it brand new in-box? I had mistakenly activated my iPhone 4s on my wifes line (I took her upgrade). When I got her line back onto her old samsung phone, the iPhone had no line associated to it. I tried to get my line activated on it but it wouldn't go wouldn't go wouldn't go... we tried a lot of things. The key was that my wifes current samsung phone activated with her line had to be OFF. I don't know why but because her line was the last one activated on the iPhone it had to remain OFF during the activation of MY line onto the iPhone... go figure...

3. Terri French thread starter macrumors newbie

She tried activating with her existing phone off with no luck. Thank you for trying to help us.

4. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Sorry i couldn't be more help.

For what it's worth... from my experience... the phone customer service people are much more knowledgable and have many more avenues for help than they do in-store.

I'm curious to see what the problem ends up being...

5. Learylvr. macrumors regular

Learylvr.

That's just not right. Just ask for a new 4s, I would. I would've thought they would've already replaced it.

6. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Not to mention the monthlong wait... I ordered one late nov. (just after thanksgiving) and I think it took all of 10 days to arrive. something wrong, sent it back, brand new one came within 2 days...

7. Terri French thread starter macrumors newbie

She got it activated.....so all is well. The Verizon servers were down. She called tech support and they told her it was fixed and to try again.

8. cbf macrumors newbie

It's now been 24 hours since I brought two iPhones home, one for me, the other for my wife.

I got them at Best Buy. They told me that Verizon was getting slammed with activations, so neither phone worked when I left the store.

When I got home, my wife excitedly pulled the top off of the box and was about to pick up her phone when it activated.

Mine STILL hasn't activated. Verizon tech support says the problem is at their end. Took the phone back to Best Buy, they couldn't do anything either. :mad:

9. cbf macrumors newbie

Well, after calling Verizon again, I had to reset the phone. Basically had to wipe it clean, connect to iTunes, restore it, restart the phone and FINALLY I get activated.