Problems with iPhone 5S WiFi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BearsFan4Life88, Feb 22, 2014.

1. BearsFan4Life88, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

BearsFan4Life88 macrumors member

Maybe someone can help me out here. I have had the iPhone 5S since November. Awesome phone. Only problem I have is with my wifi speeds at home. I have an ASUS router that I got last year. It supports wireless N networking. My ISP (Comcast) gives me nearly 60mbps down and 12 up. I use to be able to get that on my iPhone 5S. Within the last month, I have always get 20mbps. As a matter of fact, my iPad 3 is getting slow wifi speeds at home also.

I have rebooted the router several times, but nothing changes. At my university, my wifi speeds are blazing on my iPhone 5S.

Does anyone know why this is? When using my iMac, speeds are perfectly fine. Using iOS, speeds are not what they should be.

SpeedTest.net on iMac
    [​IMG]

SpeedTest.net on iPhone 5S
    [​IMG]

I have tired the following:

Reset the router
    Reset the network settings on my iPhone 5S
    Restored my iPhone to factory settings
    And yes, I've changed the server on speedtest.net

2. BearsFan4Life88 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone? Wifi speeds on iPhone 5S suck, compared to speeds my mom gets on her note 3.

3. I7guy macrumors G5

It's not the 5s, wifi speeds on my 5s are blazing fast. Example, my ISP Real world speed on the OOKLA speed test is 120/40. My 5s gets 110/35 or thereabouts.

Smallnetbuilder.com is a good resource to use. My guess is your a,n bands are either not setup correctly, you don't have WMM on, you didn't enable intolerance, you are using the proper encryption, or your 5ghz spectrum is not usable due to interference. Lastly you are too far away from the router, walls etc.

4. BearsFan4Life88 thread starter macrumors member

Well that's the thing. Perhaps I should have stated its been running the latest beta of iOS 7.1 for months now. I have noticed this ever since upgrading. But it can't be a router issue because my sister's iPhone 4S gets great wifi speeds, and my mom's Note 3 gets really really great wifi speeds. I use to get 50+ mbps on my 5S, but not it struggles to hit 20 almost every time.

Could this be related to 7.1? I doubt it, but something is going on.

5. I7guy macrumors G5

If your phone is fast at school and slow at home it's probably not the phone. Unless you upgraded to 7.1 after you got home, I would suspect the upgrade.

6. BearsFan4Life88 thread starter macrumors member

With 7.1 its fine at school. Get great wifi speeds. At home, I use to get great wifi speeds, now it doesn't pass the 20mbps mark. Go figure. I'm hoping with the general release of 7.1 it fixes itself.

7. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

If it's 7.1 you'd be having the issue at school as well. Do you have a separate 2.4 and 5ghz network? Are you only connecting your iPad and 5S to this network? Have you tried resetting network settings?

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Have you tested on any other devices? Are results similar?

9. BearsFan4Life88, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

BearsFan4Life88 thread starter macrumors member

It's not 7.1, because I just downgraded to iOS 7.0.6 and wifi is the same. I am to knowledgable on wifi, though I did set it up. Its an ASUS router and has to options for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. Last night I did a complete reset on my router and still have problems.

Yes, and iPhone 4S and Note 3 get great speeds on the router. It's just my iPhone 5S. Perhaps its the phone itself, I don't know. I'll test it in other wifi areas today. But this is weird.

Here is a screenshot from my router settings. Can anyone direct me to the page that may not be set up properly?

[​IMG]

10. I7guy macrumors G5

I have a netgear router, fyi. That is the settings for the 2.4 g, the G channel. You need the page for the settings for the 5 g, the N channel.

11. BearsFan4Life88 thread starter macrumors member

This page?

[​IMG]

This is really starting to irritate me. It's not the router. I just tested several other devices on it and they get way over 20mbps. My iPhone 5S always gets the same speed on it.

Should I switch the bandwidth on the 5Ghz to 40mhz? The wireless mode is set to auto.

12. I7guy macrumors G5

What are the settings for wireless mode and channel bandwidth?

13. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I don't think it's your iphone. I have the same problem with my home wifi service. Mine sucks too. It even sucks on the PC next to the router. :mad: You can call your internet service provider and tell them your problem. Ask them to test the speed/connection.

Outside my home I have no problems. Whenever I'm at a friend's home it varies depending on their wifi speeds too. So I know it's not my iPhone.

One thing I haven't tried yet is changing my router to an Apple router.

14. BearsFan4Life88 thread starter macrumors member

It's not my home internet. Again, every device, including an iPhone 4S, Galaxy Note 3, and an iMac all get over 50mbps down.

Now in the library, which use to get me 50mbps down, I am getting the exact same dreaded 20mpbs down I get at home. Perhaps the wifi radio in my phone became defective somehow, that's the only thing I can think of.

----------

Wireless mode is set to auto and channel bandwidth is now set to 40mhz for both 2.4 and 5ghz.

Made no difference. I think its the phone. At the school library, where I'm at now, I can no longer get over 20mbps down. The wifi radio may be defective.

15. BearsFan4Life88 thread starter macrumors member

Another comparison:

Library speeds (where I work)

[​IMG]

iPhone 5S on the same network

[​IMG]

Now I don't expect to get nearly 1Gbps down on my iPhone, but shouldn't I get more than 20mbps since its the same network?

I have also tried various servers.

16. I7guy macrumors G5

Bring the phone into apple is my suggestion.

17. BearsFan4Life88 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I'm thinking this. But I could just call apple and they can send me a replacement by putting a hold on my card right?

Nearest apple store is 2 hrs away.

18. I7guy macrumors G5

Actually not sure. Hopefully someone more familiar with reacement policies will chime in.

19. BearsFan4Life88 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah. It has to be defective. The phone can't reach 25mbps on any wifi network now. I wonder how this happened, because it use to be fine with wifi. I always have ran those tests haha.

Just to confirm, I have used other speed test apps to verify. SpeedTest, Root Metrics, and the FCC speedtest app all give me the exact same performance.

20. BearsFan4Life88 thread starter macrumors member

Oh wtf... now its getting 40 down at home!!! UGH. So I guess I'm not calling apple technical support. Go figure this phone.

21. I7guy macrumors G5

I know you want to believe it's the phone, but it's not.

22. BearsFan4Life88 thread starter macrumors member

How can it not be though? Wifi performance at work is kick ass, yet the phone only gave 20mbps. Home wifi performance is about 55mbps and all I got was 20mbps. Now I'm getting in high 30s and 40s. I don't understand this.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's normal. The phone only has like one antenna whereas your computer has three.

24. luckydcxx macrumors 65816

luckydcxx

:eek: who is the ISP? i need those speeds.