problems with iPhone reception/3g data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ay98182, Sep 8, 2008.

1. ay98182 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

I can't believe that I'm also writing one of these 'iPhone issues' rants/complaints, but my patience is really being stretched thin.

My main problem is:

frequently (about 4 out of the last 10 times) when I'm accessing the internet on Safari or using an app that requires the internet, the 3g bars will be full and it will be zipping along, when, all of a sudden it will just stop working. The bars will still show on full (and I'll still be in the exact same spot), but nothing will load. I've tried resetting Safari etc, but the only thing that will work is resetting the phone or putting it on and off airplane mode. Oh and if I switch off 3g and go to EDGE, everything also starts to work fine.

now, are these the dreaded 3g issues that everyone is talking about? It seems obvious that the answer is yes, but I almost never get dropped calls and I didn't realise that the problem was so endemic in the UK O2 network (I thought the Americans on AT&T were the real sufferers) so I thought I'd ask to double check that it isn't just my phone being faulty.

Has anyone else had similar issues on O2 in London or nationwide? (ie problems specifically with 3g data and not calls).

Now, finally, my other issue is a problem with the iPhone reception in general: whenever I enter an area with no reception (basement/Underground etc) and then come back out, it takes a VERY long time for iPhone to receive a signal again, even if I'm clearly out in the open and in an area with great signal strength. Sometimes it will just continue to show 'No Service' until I reset the phone. This is extremely annoying as I often don't look at my phone for a while after leaving the tube and end up missing lots of messages and calls.

It doesn't happen all the time, but frequently enough to be a pretty big inconvenience - has anyone else had this problem?

If all of these issues are not specific to my phone (and it doesn't look like they are), then it is simply not acceptable, considering all we've been promised and the cost of having an iPhone contract (its better in the UK than the US I admit, but its still £5-10 more than other phone plans)! Please, no one make the argument that 'this is what you get for being on the bleeding edge of technology' - 3g data and phone reception is hardly 'bleeding edge' - and its all driving me to the edge and driving me to EDGE...etc

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice!

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

i think you're the only one with 3G reception and/or iphone problems. Maybe start a poll to find out.

3. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

It took me a few minutes to wipe the tears out of my eyes after reading that line :D

4. ay98182 thread starter macrumors member

I was crying too, crying out of humiliation...