Problems with Ipod Touch composite video output

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by snowychick2005, May 30, 2009.

1. snowychick2005 macrumors newbie

Hey.. i faced a problem with my ipod 2nd gen video output.. I bought a composite av cable for my ipod touch but it was not the original Apple cable.. the problem i faced was it only had sound but not video.. the weird thing is that some time it shows video and sometime it shows only sound but not video.. my question is can it be the problem with the cable or my ipod touch itself.. if there is a problem wif cable i can always change but if it is my ipod touch, wad am i going to do? does sending back to apple for repair cost money since my ipod touch is not even a year old.. thanks for the help..

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can't buy a third-party adapter; you have to buy Apple's; the Apple adapter has a special microchip to work.

And repairs within the one-year is free, but they won't fix anything since it probably the adapter.

3. lostless macrumors 6502

apple removed the video out pins in the headphone port after the first ipod video. All new ipods only have video out on the dock connector and requires a special cable to get video out on it.

4. crmccashin macrumors regular

crmccashin

It is the cable. You can continue to try to find a set from an eBay seller that will work...or if you really need/want video, spend the bucks on the Apple cable.
    I did get lucky and find an aftermarket set that worked, but only after several tries.

5. snowychick2005 thread starter macrumors newbie

so all i have to know is that i had wasted my money on the non apple cable? gosh.. then how come there are so non apple cable out there that are being produce and sold in the market since it do no even work? does such cable only work on older ipods?

6. crmccashin macrumors regular

crmccashin

Yes you did.

They are out there because people like you and me are suckers and will buy them.

My problem was finding one that would work with an older model. As SW versions have change and models have changed, so has the version of cable requirements. Apple holds all the marbles, past and future. It's called a patent. :)

7. snowychick2005 thread starter macrumors newbie

alright thanks.. i think i get it.. i'll go back to the shop and ask for a change in product.. after all, i don't think they will mind and it was them who told me this will work.. i rather get a pouch for my hp instead of this crap..

8. tv45 macrumors newbie

I cant even get a feed

Hello,

I have the new 32 gb ipod touch with the 3.1.2 firmware installed on it. I just bought the composite av cables and they dont work with my ipod touch. However, they do work with my ipod video. I took them to the apple store and they told me that the composite cables are old ones and they dont work with the new ipod touches. On my ipod video you have to go into the video settings and turn on the tv out but with the ipod touch you cant do that, it is suppose to automatically pick it up. They said it had something to do with the pins inside the unit but they weren't sure. Can anyone please help me!! there must be something that i am missing!!

9. Slopi macrumors newbie

I'm absolutely pissed right now. I've been searching the web for days with no answer, and I still sit here with an iPod Touch, APPLE BRANDED CABLES and only audio coming through my TV. I still see the video on the iPod screen, but NOTHING on the TV. Any hints, solutions or ANYTHING? I'm about to go rampage on the apple store that sold me this saying it'd work fine.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

As I stated in your other post and as the third poster of this forum stated. It requires the actual dock in order to view video from your iPod Touch or iPhone on your TV. The 3.5MM jack has been changed in these devices form the iPod Video, so now the way to get video out is through an Apple iPod or iPhone dock, where the 3.5MM video out is still compatible.

11. Slopi macrumors newbie

I'm using the actual Dock connector composite video cables from Apple, not the 3.5mm jack cables. The issue has already been resolved for me, using Resupported, an app from Cydia. I have no clue why this app has solved my issue with APPLE BRANDED CABLES, but it has, and I'm happy.