Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlisle20

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
My specs

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 17"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,5
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.5 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.6f0

Every iPod i try to lug into my laptop are not recognized, and they all work fine on my PC. This includes the Shuffle, photo, mini. It's getting v annoying. I updated all the iPod software on my computer, and they still don't work, any ideas?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
How are you plugging your iPod in (USB or FireWire)? Does anything else work when plugged into the same port? I only ask because one of the USB ports on my PowerBook is dead...

dlisle20

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
robbieduncan said:
How are you plugging your iPod in (USB or FireWire)? Does anything else work when plugged into the same port? I only ask because one of the USB ports on my PowerBook is dead...

i'm plugging it in via USB, however i know all of my USB ports work fine

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Perhaps the port is underpowered. Are you using the other ports for external drives or anything arduous like that? Also, when you say your USB ports work, what do they work with? :)

dlisle20

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 2, 2005
mad jew said:
Perhaps the port is underpowered. Are you using the other ports for external drives or anything arduous like that? Also, when you say your USB ports work, what do they work with? :)

pretty much everything except ipods :(

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
mad jew said:

I have a similar problem with my imac. I suspect one of the firewire ports is slightly below spec because my 3G ipod refuses to work with the flakey firewire port, despite the fact that it works fine with an external firewire hard drive. The other port has no problems.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
mad jew said:

I have a similar problem with my imac. I suspect one of the firewire ports is slightly below spec because my 3G ipod is very flakey using that port, despite the fact that it works fine with an external firewire hard drive. The other port has no problems.
:confused:

Atreyu25

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
New software for the 5G iPod will be released shortly to address some of the issues mentioned.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Apple has been pretty slow on new Software updates for iPods of late. I would love to see at least one more for the 4G with colour screen. Can't think of what else would be in there, but it would be nice to see one more before it gets buried under the 5G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.