Problems with iSync and Address Book

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Edwin the Elder, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Edwin the Elder macrumors member

As my signature indicates I have a G5 iMac and a MacBook.

I use iSync to keep the two synchronized.

Today I had a problem where iSync seemed to freeze and Address Book did freeze during the sync operation. I cancelled the sync and "forced quit" Address Book.

I then restarted the sync. It told me I was about to change over 5% on my contacts and asked if I wished to proceed. This seemed fine to me as I had added a whole distribution group to my iMac that I wished to sync. I should have paid more attention as it was asking me to delete 81 entries. I allowed it and it wiped out my entire address book entries on my MacBook.

I now have a problem. I have no entries on my MacBook and when I sync on it nothing is added. When I try to add the 81 entries from my iMac by using iSync it asks me whether I want to change more than 5% of my entries and shows me that allowing the sync will delete the 81 exisitng entries on the iMac.

Anyone know how I can add the 81 entries from my iMac and download them to my MacBook?

Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

In the Application Support folder in your Home folder's Library, open the Address Book folder and (when Address Book is closed), AddressBook.data to the Desktop and then rename AddressBook.data.previous to AddressBook.data and then open Address Book. Is your data recovered? If this made things worse, then quit Address Book and rename the files back to what they were. :)

3. Edwin the Elder thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

did not work as planned as the previous data was also empty

but I used it to back up my address book data on my iMac to a USB stick and transferred this to the MacBook successfully

iSync worked after I allowed the Imac to accept a delete of 81 entries and an add of 81 entries

go figure

much appreciated

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew