Problems with iTunes loosing the hard drive on my airport.

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by steve knight, Jan 18, 2015.

1. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I have been trying to get iTunes to use the external drive on my airport extreme. but in the morning iTunes goes back to it's default music location on my internal hard drive.
    I want my music on a drive that is accessible when my computer is off so songs can always stream it.

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

3. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

Problems with iTunes loosing the hard drive on my airport.

Save power and with the ssd drive not a biggie. I have the drive mounting when the computer boots up but iTunes still has issues. Plus the computer is by my sleeping parrots so no reason to keep them awake

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Some USB drives connected to an AP Extreme can be unreliable. The sleep states are unreliable. Perhaps the drive may be going to sleep and by the time is is ready, iTunes has given up and looked for the default folder.

Which generation APExtreme are you using and drive?

By the way, you used to not be able to stream from a itunes library unless you had a device (your computer) running iTunes... dunno if that changed recently.

5. steve knight thread starter Suspended

steve knight

I had it on the last one but I just replaced it with the newest one. I notice sometimes the drive shows on the desktop when I turn it on and sometimes not. I went with a AE and 3tb drive a couple years ago because it was cheaper then the time machine. I want my music avaliable to my sonos without having to have a computer on. Any better way to do it? I don't use iTunes often and if I remember to close it and open it it gets to the right drive