Problems with iWeb and 1&1

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JamesLJ, Mar 23, 2011.

1. JamesLJ macrumors newbie

Apr 9, 2009
    Champlin, MN
    Hi folks, hopefully you can give me a hand...

I recently registered the domain with 1&1. I'm trying to publish to it via FTP with iWeb. I'm setting it up like this:

Server address:
    User name: [crazy user name assigned by 1&1]
    Password: [my password]
    Directory/Path: [Blank]

I have also tried adding ftp. on the server address and / in the directory/path.

When I hit test connection it tests okay, says I can upload to the site. I've made a little "under construction" test page in iWeb and published it, iWeb says it is ready to be viewed. I visit the site, and it's got a 404 error. Why?

Also: When I am able to view my site, how can I make it have my main page at the root level instead of It's a little annoying that iWeb does that.

I found a bunch of iWeb threads on this site, but they don't address my problem. Thanks so much for whatever help you can give!
  2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Oct 9, 2008
    The one recommendation I can offer is to try to FTP to the host using another application. CyberDuck, FileZilla, Flow are examples. You will have to publish to a local folder before using one of those FTP clients to upload your site. I don't know enough about restructuring the pathname so I'll leave that to someone else more knowledgeable.
  3. simara macrumors newbie

May 5, 2011
    I have the same problem. I realized that iWeb doesn't upload the file index.html outside the Folder; however I manually uploaded but I keep having the same problem: under construction. Did you find any solution?