Problems with iWeb and 1&1

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JamesLJ, Mar 23, 2011.

1. JamesLJ macrumors newbie

JamesLJ

Hi folks, hopefully you can give me a hand...

I recently registered the domain www.contrariancorner.cc with 1&1. I'm trying to publish to it via FTP with iWeb. I'm setting it up like this:

Server address: contrariancorner.cc
    User name: [crazy user name assigned by 1&1]
    Password: [my password]
    Directory/Path: [Blank]

I have also tried adding ftp. on the server address and / in the directory/path.

When I hit test connection it tests okay, says I can upload to the site. I've made a little "under construction" test page in iWeb and published it, iWeb says it is ready to be viewed. I visit the site, and it's got a 404 error. Why?

Also: When I am able to view my site, how can I make it have my main page at the root level instead of contrariancorner.cc/pagename? It's a little annoying that iWeb does that.

I found a bunch of iWeb threads on this site, but they don't address my problem. Thanks so much for whatever help you can give!

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The one recommendation I can offer is to try to FTP to the host using another application. CyberDuck, FileZilla, Flow are examples. You will have to publish to a local folder before using one of those FTP clients to upload your site. I don't know enough about restructuring the pathname so I'll leave that to someone else more knowledgeable.

3. simara macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. I realized that iWeb doesn't upload the file index.html outside the Folder; however I manually uploaded but I keep having the same problem: under construction. Did you find any solution?
    Thanks!