Problems with Large Data Transfers USB HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raquiros, Aug 4, 2008.

1. raquiros macrumors member

raquiros

I recently purchased a 100GB HDD 2.5 SATA and an USB 2.0 Enclosure... I backed up all of my data correctly except for the single iPhoto Library file which is like 29GB... I try to copy it to the USB Drive and it starts ok with a lot of noise on the HDD, and then it stops... have happened at 5GB, 10GB, 25GB of transfer.... I haven't been able to complete this transfer and Im wondering what am I doing wrong or if there's a different way...

Thanks in advance

2. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

3. raquiros thread starter macrumors member

raquiros

NTFS-3G....:confused:

4. Eric. macrumors regular

It sounds like the drive isn't getting enough power. My 320GB portable drive from OWC does the same thing if its hooked up to a USB controller on my PC that is also used by something else. Do you have a power supply for the HDD? If not, try different USB ports.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You should try and use a powered USB hub as well.

Of course the best thing is to get a firewire drive next time ;)

6. raquiros thread starter macrumors member

raquiros

In fact the HDD enclosure itself came with a USB cable which has two USBs inputs for connecting to the laptop... but I decided to change it with a single USB cable since I didn't see any side effects... do you think that's the problem? is there any app for monitoring the external HDD or USB ports? I will try it tonight

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Are you talking about the 2 headed cable? Then yes connect them to 2 separate USB ports…