Problems with late 2013 rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hank Meyer, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Hank Meyer macrumors member

So I bought a Refurbished 2011 MBP from Apple in 2012 and should have done my homework as mine died to Radeongate. apple replaced it... after the threat of lawsuits hovered over them. I need a second machine now. Wont need to do the same intense graphics use on the machine I'm looking to buy now. considering either a refurb or going with a Windows 10 laptop via Costco.

Wondering if there's been any large scale problems with the late 2013 models. Looking at a dual core 2.4GHz, 13.3" rMBP.

Thanks.

2. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Yes, there are: staingate and ghosting. Try to google it. These were and still are huge issues, so be careful.

3. Hank Meyer thread starter macrumors member

thanks Max.

I don't want to deal with that kind of crap, once again. I guess its back to Windows for me. I've been looking forward to a touch screen computer anyway.

4. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

There have been screen problems but a minority obviously or there would have been a massive recall or legal action against Apple. My late 2013 MBPr is a superb computer ... Fast, plenty of ports, portable, beautiful screen, quiet.

5. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

They're not "huge" issues, they just get overblown on this forum which attracts the 0.1% with an issue.

The various dGPU faults over the years are closer to a huge issue, but don't affect the 13" models.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

Touch screens get old after a day or two of use. They're probably the stupidest and most unergonomic gimmick ever put into a laptop. Flailing your arms about at a vertical surface is not the way to go. If you truly want touch, I'd go with something like a Surface, that can actually be used as a proper tablet.