problems with leopard upgrade - yellow exclamation mark

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dpope, Oct 26, 2007.

1. dpope macrumors member

Hi,

I've read alot about people getting red exclamation marks when trying to install tiger on a disk without a GUID partition table but I am getting a yellow exclamation mark on my internal hard disk on an MBP c2d. I resized the original JHFS+ partition on my 120 GB disk to 80 GB and created another 40 GB linux partition a while ago. Now when I try to install leopard teh 80 Gb partition shows up with a yellow exclamation and says it can't be used to install and that I should click on 'Options' to change my install options. When I do that the only option is to format the drive.

Anyone else seen this and managed to figure out what's going on?

thanks

2. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

the partition map on the drive needs to be GUID.

disk utility can do this but it involves erasing the entire disk and repartitioning it.

3. dpope thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but the partition map for the drive _is_ GUID so that is not the problem. People with that problem get a red exclamation mark while I get a yellow one.

I am using refit as a boot loader and I think the problem might be that Leopard doesn't want any boot loader it doesn't recognize around. I was wondering if anyone has found a workaround for this.

thanks

4. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

what's the exact message that comes up when you click on the partition you want to use? maybe we can see further in to the issue with that, you never know, it might be useful :rolleyes:

it could be a compatibility issue with refit. is there any possibility of just wiping that disk and repartitioning it? that's what i'd do (but i'm just impatient).

5. dpope thread starter macrumors member

I removed rEFIt and the problem persisted. I'm now guessing my drive was somehow badly partitioned. Using bootcamp a while ago I resized it into ~80 gb JHFS+, ~40 gb ext2 and 2 gb swap but now (and for some time) disk util refuses to recognize the ext2 (though it sees the swap) and treats it just like swap space. Also, disk util on both 10.4 and 10.5 refuse to resize the 80 gb partition strangely. I just bought a 500 gb external drive and I think I will wipe my current drive and repartition again and install leopard and linux. Any advice on how to backup my system cleanly? Just my docs or should I use CCCloner or something? Will start in a few min so if you have advice please let me know soon ;->

6. embrionproducc macrumors newbie

Exclamation Mark And Blue Screen Solutions

Hello, im running an Imac Intel 17" and i had issues during the installation over the weekend
    but finally yesterday i was able to do it.
    My problem was the yellow exclamation mark in the hard drive and "Blue Screen of Death" If this is your problem too. this is the solution.

First, to check if your problem is the same as mine. Open Disk Utility in Apps Folder , and verify your disk. If you got "Illegal Name" as an error marked on red. Continue reading

That problem is caused by some bug in Adobe Software, you can find more in some other sites or forums about this. Well, first erase all the folders that say Legal, inside Adobe Applications. After that. You have to download Disk Warrior, its the only software who will repair your disk. I tried with Disk Utility repair from boot cd. and Tech Tool Pro with no success. Downloaded Disk Warrior, and installed in a dvd as an start up disc or in a external drive. You can find this software in demonoid or in another torrents site. If you are not familiar with torrents, you can send me an email and i will reply you the .dmg. The serial number can be found in Serial Box.

Assuming you already have the software. Boot from the external drive or dvd. Rebuilt your main hard drive. and verify again with the disk utility, you should see any problem now.

Now, you can reboot from your Leopard Disc, and the hard drive will not have the exclamation mark. and thats it.

For the other part, if you have the blue screen after installing and reset your computer. This is the problem. If you have parallels or any software that you had installed any Applicaton Enhancer. That´s the problem. If you are already on the blue screen. Reset the computer and type Command + S after you hear the boot sound. and you will see the black screen with the white codes.

In this link you can found what you have to do and what files you have to erase

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=5663921

Once again, if you are not familiar with Terminal language. send me a mail and i will reply with rookie instructions on how to do it

And thats all my friends. Im running Leopard now in my Imac and in my Macbook Pro 15". Im pasting this text in every forum i found. I will not be checking the forum again so often. Any questions to my email: info@embrionproducciones.com Subject: Leopard.

Im just doing this, because i just hate to visit forums and not finding any solutions or if i found one is some big engineer solution or something. Now enjoy leopard.

7. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

I had this same problem and wondered how you went about installing. I had the same yellow warning, inability to install, and linux partitions on my MBP CD. I tried to use disk util to fix it as well but couldn't touch those other partitions because it said they were not mounted. So I couldn't do anything to them. I used boot camp create the initial partition, and when I tried to open boot camp beta (still in 10.4) to get rid of it to see if that would fix it, it wouldn't do anything. It gave me a warning message (i can't remember exactly what it said) and only gave me the option to quit. I ended up just clean installing the mac partition. Is that what you did or did you find a solution?

8. embrionproducc macrumors newbie

Solution dont need Clean Install

My solution dont need to clean install or formatting the computer.
    You just upgraded it. and you will have your computer as you had it before.
    Cheers.