Problems with Mac mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tduran, Jul 25, 2013.

1. tduran macrumors newbie

I am on an Intel Dual Core 2 Duo 17 inch imac running OS X Version 10.6.8.

I connect to server/internet modem wirelessly.

Monday morning mac mail started acting weird. It says mail is offline, but won't go online when I click the "Take all accounts online" option. I have wi-fi, I have internet (Firefox), diagnostics says "You appear to be connected to the internet" but I have to quit and relaunch Mail each time I want to send or receive mail. I have 2 mail accounts listed (work is an AOL, personal is Optimum online). When I launch Mail, it automatically opens the second account, my personal one.

I've checked the preferences and can't see where the problem might be.

I also have a PC on my desk and I can open my AOL mail there with no problem.

Any suggestions?

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Some time ago I experienced a similar problem. Switching the machine off, leaving for 30 seconds and switching on again solved the problem.

Hope this helps!

3. tduran thread starter macrumors newbie

I have shut it down at night, even the whole weekend, still have the mail problem. But thanks for trying John

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I've had that happen before too, though it's been a long time and probably when I was using 10.6 as well. I haven't seen that happen to me since being on 10.7 and 10.8. But, regardless, have you tried just removing the account(s) from Mail, restarting and then re-adding them?

5. tduran thread starter macrumors newbie

I have not Sandbox, What does that entail? and will I loose all addresses and sent mail records? That is not a problem, I'd just like to know so I can document some stuff before I do it...

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You won't lose any addresses since they are stored separately in the Contacts or Address Book app on OS X. As long as the web version of your email has all the emails stored in it, removing the account from Mail.app will not remove or delete them.

All you need to do is go into System Preferences, Mail, Calendar settings and delete the account(s). (Typing this from memory right now). Or you can go into the Preferences right in Mail.app and remove the account there too.

7. tduran thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that did it!! Thanks.
    I only deleted the one account (the aol) but seems to be working well now!
    Thanks again