Problems with Mac Mini - Screen Tearing

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by tears2040, Nov 8, 2012.

1. tears2040 macrumors 6502

I've tried 3 different monitors and all doing the same thing. Basically I shoot and Edit Hd videos. I have been using my imac with no problems and really just wanted to upgrade my computer due to the better mac mini processor.

It looks like though the lack of a Graphics card or should I say "better" one is the problem. You can actually see the interlaced lines forming in hd videos which does not happen at all with my iMac.

Anyone know if this is a graphics card problem with the Mac Mini or is it because the 2011 imac model graphics card is able to push these graphics with no problem?

Please help
    thanks

2. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

I don't have a problem with the HD 4000 graphics on my 2012 MBP or the HD 3000 graphics on my 2011 mini, so it's not likely strictly a GPU problem. But there are many issues people keep reporting with their 2012 mini's and graphics. Something is not right.

3. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

Actually other threads say it is the HD 4000 GPU.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16258594#post16258594

I haven't had any issues with my MBP, I guess I'm lucky. I'm glad I cancelled my order for the 2012 mini, which I did because I wanted to see reviews of the Fusion Drive before I decided what HD option I wanted to buy.

4. tears2040 thread starter macrumors 6502

SMH..........

It looks like I might go ahead and buy a new iMac then or a refurbished one that is faster than my current one.....

:mad:

5. cocacolakid, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012

cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

The new iMac has the same HD 4000 GPU. UPDATE: I'm wrong, as tears2040 pointed out, it has an NVIDIA GeForce GT GPU. I don't want to mislead anyone.

However, I think the reason I'm not having problems with my MBP is there is no HDMI port and I'm not connecting it to an external monitor like a mini has to. The iMac also has it's own monitor, so again, no HDMI, it "should" be safe at least for the quality of the built in monitor. If you are using a 2nd monitor with it there might be issues. This is really disappointing. If you click on that link to the Intel forum, people are having issues with every PC maker who has HD 4000 GPU's, but it seems to be just on video out, not something the majority of laptop owners use (or iMacs).

6. tears2040 thread starter macrumors 6502

According to the Specs It says the iMac has NVIDIA GeForce GT series graphics cards?
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac

But yeah maybe the problem is the HDMI, I don't now....... Point is though, I can't use it and going to return to Apple today. :(

7. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

You're right.