Problems with Macbook Pro after Service

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbook, Apr 3, 2008.

1. macbook macrumors newbie

Greetings,
    I recently had my Macbook Pro, (which is not under AppleCare) serviced by an Apple Genius. The problem was nothing major, just the palmrest on the laptop was extremely corroded and unbearable to look at. It cost me nearly $300 to get the part replaced, but I figured that if I am conducting business on a laptop that clients see, it is embarrassing to present videos/photos etc on such a laptop.

Cosmetic problems aside, when the laptop came back, I powered it on in the store and everything seemed to work fine. However, when I got home, I realized the bottom RAM slot on the Macbook Pro was no longer functional. I've called AppleCare and they gave me "complimentary" troubleshooting, however nothing has fixed the bottom RAM slot. They determined that I needed a new logic board. This would be close to a $1000 repair, the agent told me.

I really do not want to invest any more money into this laptop, however I would like to know what my options are when it comes to getting the laptop replaced/repaired. Apple did have me sign wavers when I initially had the product serviced, so I think they no longer have liability which leaves me stuck. :mad:

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.

2. hotdamn macrumors 6502

your best bet is to call them and flat out tell them that the laptop broke while it was in their hands, not in yours.

3. macbook thread starter macrumors newbie

I would do this, but i'm afraid that no company with a stock as high as Apple's is going to believe that.

4. Deadaim357 macrumors member

Deadaim357

Man you paid 300 bucks for a repair and they broke your MBP. I would be bull****. Call customer relations maybe they can do something for you. If that doesn't work go down to the Apple store where the repairs were made and speak with the manager and tell him what happened. If those don't work then email Steve Jobs. Not sure on his email at Apple though.

5. macbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay... has anybody had something similar to this happen before? What happened when they call customer relations? Did they fix the problem or just say what the tech said: you signed our waiver...

6. macbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay.. I'm going to hope for the best and give them a call tomorrow.